Endpoint requirement for DSD512 / Windows 10

To confirm DSD512 takes 50Mbps bitrate:

DSD512 = 44100 * 512 * 2 (stereo) = 451548400 bps

Since I had the experience of having stutter playing a SMB-mounted 70Mbps video file on 100Mbps Ethernet (but no problem on 1000Mbps Ethernet) using a Realtek 1295 media player, I think it is important to experimentally verify the playback of DSD512 via RAAT on 100Mbps Ethernet, since there is also protocol overhead (however small that it is) and other implementation considerations.

To this end, I performed the experiment using a Lumin X1 with a 100Mps Ethernet switch, i5-6600 Ubuntu PC as Roon Core with processing speed of 1.9 when upsampling 44.1kHz PCM to DSD512 with parallelize sigma delta modulator enabled:

Yes, DSD512 plays on 100Mbps Ethernet via RAAT normally in this setup.

1 Like

Step forward (or 2?).
Followed @andybob 's link (This guide ) and stopped some of the services listed there.
Replaced LAN cables between core, switch and bridge. Cat.6(a) instead of Cat.5e, but I think, the more important thing is: new instead of old and mechanically maltreated over the years.
Cracks and dropouts are significantly reduced, but it’s not yet usable. I will proceed in killing services.

1 Like

Many years ago, I did some pro bono computer work at a summer camp for children sick with various terminal diseases, The Hole in the Wall Gang camp. One of the camp officers bought some laptops at a garage sale for $10 a piece and then wanted Windows 7 put on them. It barely fit and ran like shit, but hey, he got them for $10.

There endth the lesson.:laughing:

Problem solved. Replaced the Atom MiniPC with a NUC7I3. Oversized but works.

2 Likes