Enjoy the music

Do I need to be an engineer to enjoy the music? I can’t help but notice that a lot of the critics in the Forum appear to believe that an engineering degree is required before we can fully enjoy/appreciate the music that we are listening to. Really ! I’m beginning to think the “Techies” are more concerned about self-appreciation than sound appreciation. Just enjoy the sound ! After all…didn’t sound bring us here in the first place? Who really cares about the technicality and wizardry of a product ? As with all products, it’s all about sales. MQA…a perfect example…if you like it…enjoy it ! If you don’t like like…move on and leave it alone. Personally, I don’t need a mega $ system to enjoy the sound but I guess we’re all different. Don’t forget to keep smiling and have a good day !

30 Likes

The music means EVERYTHING!!

There is too much talk on this forum about MQA vs ‘God Knows What!?’ Or XYZ format.

Let’s focus on the music for a change. It’s liberating. Let’s not forget that! :smiley:

4 Likes

Yes, enjoy the music. However, this hobby can include people who simply listen to Spotify with their iPhone and earbuds to people with $100,000+ systems. Some of these systems can be so complex, you almost need an engineering degree and/or computer science degree.

My only caution is don’t spend money you can’t afford or deprive your significant other(s), and don’t spend money on things that don’t actually work. Otherwise, enjoy the music and the search for ever improving SQ.

8 Likes

You’re walking across a minefield here, but I dig the general sentiment of your post. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Sometimes you just don’t know that a thing doesn’t work until, well you know, you bought it and found out it doesn’t work.
Lol.
But that’s what eBay is for, to rid yourself of those " experiments".
My favorite phrase right now is simply this.

Enjoy the music!

2 Likes

7 Likes

I really though this a Hans (HPB) thread hahahaha

1 Like

Get old, get tinnitus, get deaf

Then there’s only the music left. My Golden Ears Era is well gone

I must confess as a techie I have to fight to reduce screen time in favour of chair/headphone time

Rock on Tommy

on image

2 Likes

Hey, I am a music lover. I use a Roon and HQPlayer to send music via my DAC to my 6SN7 tube preamp and my KT88 tube amp to my sensitive speakers and just enjoy listening to the music. I use home made interconnects and speaker cables too. I am quite content with the wonderful sound I get…

3 Likes

I wonder if it’s time to get a new meme. This one is getting pretty stale.

3 Likes

Well said Cary. I’m grateful for all the techies who push forward to improve things (both Roon employees and the forum contributors), but the music is king. It moves us, soothes us and stimulates us.

1 Like

No, we absolutely don’t have to be an engineer to enjoy music. :slight_smile: But the thing is that…music is sound and sound is physics which leads to engineering and technology. So music itself is tied up to engineering and that’s a fact. Now its up to you and all of us that how much we want to be serious in pursuing of purest sound, sound in perfection…and what really music means to you.

To my ears highest quality digital available today doesn’t come even closer to the analog setup I have, so I launched Roon probably 4-5 times in the past 6 months or so.

Anyways, so we all are good at the level we want to enjoy listening to music, there’s absolutely no harm at any level as long as we enjoy our music and respect each other.

3 Likes

Music is art. Audio is engineering. Thanks to all the folks who can blend the two to make everything I listen to even better. These are the good old days!

3 Likes

Well said mate. Its all about the music!

1 Like

Could not agree more! Thank you

Let’s all just sit back and enjoy the music rather than the equipment !

1 Like

So totally true. It’s dangerous though when those audiophiles don’t admit that.

1 Like

To be honest. Music is live. Everything else is produced or fake interpretation of what is live. It brings us pleasure, that’s all.

1 Like

@cary_vokes hi that’s because the majority are millennials have been “helicoptered’ most of their lives AND don’t give a hoot what you/I/we think or say-and always ask for a description of your ‘system’ because it is always your systems fault not theirs—I AGREE just enjoy the music it’s all SUBJECTIVE anyway bobbmd BTW I am only allowed a less the mega$ system by my CFO(spouse) but it’s nice and sounds GREAT!

1 Like

Yup it’s all about the music. I’m happy to see that you’re not caught up in the "system race ". The quest for perfect audio will never end. In reality…at some point, our “ears” cannot tell the difference and the truth is we are “hearing” what out mind tells us. “Blind” tests have confirmed how easily our minds are convinced. We all have our own “truth and concept of reality”. Enjoy the music, keep smiling and have a good day.

4 Likes