Enjoy the music

Glad you agree

Could not have put it better……

Hi Cary, completely agree with what you have said and although I do come from an engineering background, I do want to know what makes products I buy different purely for my interest only as there are so many ways to make music sound great.
Like many on the forums I’ve started from a budget system, bought a secondhand Krell power amp etc and more recently moved onto a MSB Avalon system.
For me like many it’s about enjoying the music journey along the way and Roon plus Tidal is allowing me to listen to all sorts of music genres which if I had a Analogue system I simply wouldn’t be listening to and although I completely understand why so many people love Vinyl or CD.
From a purely convenience point of view Roon makes so much sense allowing all people whatever their budget to listen to quality music which ultimately is what it’s all about - simply enjoy the music ?

1 Like

yup… you’ve got it ! Simply put…enjoy the music. Keep smiling.

1 Like

Well said! My thoughts entirely. I’ve given up music fares with speaker cable contacts that were frozen to -200C! Listen to the music ffs! The lyrics, the chords, the arrangements, the melody etc. Sound quality is just one factor.

Sometimes I think “remember, it’s all about the music” addressed to a bunch of audiophiles is a case of “the man [not usually lady] doth protest too much.” Sure, I love music. I go to live concerts–something I have dearly missed during the pandemic. I play piano, and sit down exclusively to listen to music (not “highs”, “lows” or “soundstage”) frequently. I don’t need to be schooled about the importance of music in my life. But I also am fascinated by technology, do in fact have degrees in physics and engineering, and get an added thrill of “being there” on a good hi fi system. So if you are someone who spends gobs of money in search of elusive audiophile qualities that are never quite attained, and never just marvel at and appreciate the sheer beauty of great music regardless of whether it’s “high end”, I feel bad for you, but it’s not me.

Totally agree with the sentiment. However, there are sometimes “emperor’s new clothes” moments in any field/hobby that need to be addressed. It’s fine to tune it out but IMO, I think it’s worthwhile to support those who try to keep vendors honest (at least as we can.) It’s easy to take advantage of our “just listen to the music” attitude for monetary gain.

2 Likes

Who really cares about the technicality and wizardry of a product ?

Ahh really?

1 Like

Thanks for making the point. If this forum is not the place to debunk audio myths and marketing nonsense that undermines the very basis of hi fidelity audio reproduction, what is?

I note that this…admonishment?..manifesto?..cri de coeur? is posted in the “Audio Products” category. Perhaps you meant to post this under “Music”? Otherwise, you seem not to understand the role of engineering in the design, measurement, and proper assessment of audio products. Many of us (including folks like me who do not possess certification as engineers) who love music also love high fidelity reproduction of the work of recording artists. Faithfulness to the source is important to us and we seek out audio products that, at any given price point, reproduces the source as transparently (with as little coloration) as is possible. This involves engineering and audio science. I am not a certified audio engineer (though I once spent about 10,000 hours over a span of years mixing live and recorded music) but I know enough to listen to their counsel when questions arise about how to efficiently remove unwanted sources of coloration so that I can add what I want onto that transparent foundation. I appreciate the input of audio engineers and those literate in audio science (and digital audio) when questions of how to achieve high fidelity audio reproduction arise.

I appreciate the sentiment, but I need no lectures on enjoying the music in an audio products forum.

Faithfulness to the source, there’s a whole new discussion.
Who would know except those that were there?
If the source was that good then why are they remastered?

I would rather be faithful to what I like.

The 2 aren’t mutally exclusive for me. When it boils down to it, the music is always the most important factor, of course it is. But when i’ve already heard something 100 times, of course you’re going to pick up on the differences in hardware. For some people, the hardware element is more important i guess and music is simply the way they test it, but that’s not to say they don’t enjoy the music also.

I’m fine with people talking all the tech details and getting into the weeds, but I think the issue (and probably what you were really getting at) is that more often than not, it doesn’t seem to be a very friendly interaction and more of a sh*t slinging contest about who knows more or who has the most expensive hardware. There’s a strange thing that if you say hardware isn’t to your taste, people take this as some kind of personal insult.

I just say stop telling people how to enjoy themselves :^]

1 Like

I would be happy to move this to the #music area but will leave it to a higher @moderators for them to assess. But its probably better placed there than here.

Totally agree with everything but i did like the way someone mentioned analog is so much beter than digital :joy: now theres a debate