Entrypoints, the audio entrance to Roon, made the move to HiRes!

I tried input.external.ffmpeg on version 1.4.3, but the issue I had there was that it also expected a video stream. Also tried the ffmpeg executable as an external.rawaudio input, but couldn’t get a stable stream in combination with an external flac encoder to get 24 bits out.

Maybe you can share your input.external and output.icecast lines here, as I might have missed something.

Ffmpeg in the latest versions is part of liquid soap it it’s not an external encoder anymore they included it as a build option. I failed to actually build a working version, my Linux capabilities are pretty limited I only ended up experimenting using ffmpeg on its own as it can grasp alsa streams and send them on to Icecast, but that had buffer issues.

The release of liquidsoap that was available for raspberry Pi at the time and likely the same is pretty old so it goes not have it builtin. You can build your own for the distor if your choice or wait until that version is available in the disro repo. I think it’s in the beta builds of the next version of Debian or was. I am out of touch now as gave up on dietpi for Roon apart from this.

Admittedly if I got into this it would be quite a project for me but I’m also exited if it does what I want to accomplish. If so, I’d definitely get more up to speed on all the lingo necessary and start my journey.

That being said…
Could I use this method to have my children/guests stream from their phones to a single or multiple zones in my system over Bluetooth or another wireless protocol?

I have rock on a NUC in a far away rack but could add a RasPi to the network if that is necessary.

Thanks for any input.

There is no Bluetooth Entrypoint available at this moment. It might become available at some point but I haven’t even started investigating if this idea is feasible. Only thing I can say is that I very much like the idea of turning a Roon System into a big “Bluetooth speaker” :slight_smile:

1 Like

Only if the device itself connected to the entry point can accept Bluetooth connections. So if you had an alexa for for instance it has a line out connect that to entrypoint that has an ADC and you can Bluetooth to the Alexa audio goes into entrypoint sent around the house via Roon. Possibly set up the pi to receive Bluetooth audio with some player software that accepts it and that might work also. In theory anything sent to the soundcard on the entrypoint should be able to be picked up and forwarded on.

Thanks guys,I get it, It’s clearer now. Seeing as I use nothing but local files and tidal, I’ll just keep an eye open here in case things change in the future.

I have installed and configured the gateway and the audio entry point and the audio entry point starts. Unfortunately I cannot add a radio station as I always get the message no radio station at that address. Any ideas what is going wrong? I have rebooted everything but no luck.

Hi @Todd_Haugen,

What model Pi and what input HAT are you using?

RPI 3b+ HiFiBerry DAC + ADC Pro

OK I figured it out. You have to have audio going to the input jack before you can define the radio station. Probably a good note for the docs at some point. Additionally, I find that as soon as the input stops streaming then the audio endpoint stops. Given you have to open settings, and then extensions, and then the audio endpoint settings, click the drop down select start, and finally hit save every time you flip a record it seems worthwhile to always have the endpoint streaming regardless of input state. If you did not want to have it streaming then you could manually stop it. I would guess way more people would want it always streaming and have to manually stop that the other way? Regardless, I have it set up and working, thank you for the solution!

What sample rate are you using to capture. I had this issue when rate was set to 48/16 at 44.1/16 it just worked fine on my HifiBerry DAC + ADC. The stream should continue if sound drops so somethings not right.

Once the radio station is setup you should be able to restart playback by playing the station, like you do with any other radio station. The Roon API is used to trigger the activation of the stream.

This depends on the soundcard / HAT that is used. If the soundcard doesn’t provide audio data if there is no input signal then the stream will stop. This is especially the case for digital inputs but analog inputs could have the same (this might be the case for DAC + ADC Pro).

I have that one it seems to continue to stream for analogue anyway. It only stops when I stop it.

1 Like

Hi

I have a question that I hope someone can help with. I am looking to set up an entry point for my Roon System. I am currently using ROCK on an Intel NUC. I want to be able to stream the output from my turntable. Entry point seems to be the way to go. Before I purchase a Raspberry Pi and a hat I want to check I purchase the right HAT, if any at all. Rather then purchasing a phono preamp to then output to a HiFiBerry DAC+ ADC HAT, I own a Behringer UFO202. This has phono input and also a USB digital out. Does anyone know if I could use the USB output from the Behringer directly into a USB port on the Raspberry Pi, thus negating the need for a HAT at all.

This may well be a stupid question but as they say if you don’t ask then you will never know!

Many thanks in advance

If the UFO202 behaves like a USB soundcard and it is supported by ALSA (Advanced Linux Sound Architecture) then this might work. Maybe some googling can tell you if others have used it with a Raspberry Pi.

Hi

I am trying to setup up my roon entrypoint on diet Pi.

I have followed instructions but have an issue when trying to install Docker. Please see attached image. My question is how do I rerun the dietpi-software from putty login to try select and install docker again?

Many thanksDocker error

1 Like

Is this the first boot after writing the DietPi image to the SD-card? Looks like you have to reboot first before installing Docker.

• Get out of the dietpi-software tool
  • Type reboot and give it some time to boot
  • After the reboot reconnect via ssh by right clicking the PuTTY title bar and selecting Restart Session
  • Run dietpi-software and try the Docker installation again

Thank you, I installed Docker.
I also ran dietpi-config and selected my Behringer UFO 2002 USB DAC, it was detected as an USB Audio DAC under the Auto detection section. I then carried on following instructions in the useful Introducing Entry Points video. I am now stuck again. Please see screen shots. I have installed Audio Entry point on the DietPi but when I click start and save I do not see an entry point appear that I can enable. Sorry for my lack of knowledge!

There is a mismatch in IP addresses in the screenshots. The status message of the Gateway says that its IP address is 192.168.0.17 but in the Audio Entrypoint settings the Gateway IP is set to 192.168.0.101, so first step is to change this address. After that you have to setup the radio station in Roon.

These steps are also described in the Stream Setup chapter of the user guide. One additional note, it might be necessary to supply an input signal to your UFO202 before the stream becomes “live”.