EQ not sonically transparent in my system, others findings?

Greetings. I tried the EQ feature last night to evaluate its sonic signature. in the past i have tried other EQ functions such as Audirvana and found that it imparted a distortion or static to the sound which caused me to discontinue its use.

During last nights testing I found the same issue with the 1.3 EQ functions. I setup fairly shallow reduction at 42hz and a small lift around 100hz to compensate for room nodes i have measured.

What i heard was a very obvious distortion or static sound (faint crackles, pops) when listening to things like vocals or saxophone. Turning off the EQ function restored the clean sonic purity to these same parts of the music.

Can others comment on their findings with EQs affects or lack thereof on the overall sound purity?

I have always thought that when trying to compensate for the Room, that a lot of people went the convolution route instead of just manually tweaking EQ. See: https://kb.roonlabs.com/DSP_Engine:_Convolution

Thanks for the suggestion, I will try that.

But if its using the same EQ engine and the engine is not transparent, wouldn’t i encounter the same sonic degradation?

I wonder if the DSP had enough headroom? The Roon DSP Engine has a dedicated Headroom filter with a clipping monitor. Let us know how you get on!

Haven’t noticed any adverse eq stuff here.
I think eq is a great start for dealing with room issues simply and quickly. Convolution would be better but requires more time investment. (And potentially money)

Definitely sounds like a headroom thing. Any upward EQ will at some point require a reduction in overall gain to avoid clipping.

Yes, as above, would suggest enabling the headroom filter (even set at 0db adjustment), and enable clipping indicator. Any clipping, even the slightest sample should light up the red. If you add more headroom until you don’t see the light anymore (which may depend on music recording loudness) then if this was the issue the degraded sound should be cured. If not it’s something else.

Even the slightest lift at 100hz could cause a clip on the right music if no headroom is added. You can also move the overall gain in the parametric EQ itself, which would probably be better. I.e. Keep the EQ curve below the 0db line.

1 Like

I’ve been messing with it for hours. Sounds fine to me, but I will say that the EQ is a bit inflexible and harder to use when I compared it to using Roon with FabFilter VST inside Reaper Daw software to accomplish the same thing.

Why is there a 22khz Brickwall filter? This makes using a 6db slope highpass filter impossible towards the upper frequency range. I’m assuming this is due to the upsampler happening after the DSP which limits the frequency response to 22khz or 1/2 44.1khz sampling rate. Seems it would be better to do it after the resampler to allow a larger frequency range for the eq.

No harshness or sonic degradation per se, but you it was much more difficult to use and it doesn’t seem polished yet. It’s taken me hours to dial it in to accomplish a similar sound quality that I was previously enjoying.

I also noticed that the graphical elements would dissappear in the interface. I’d have to close and reopen it to refresh the UI to get the missing elements back.

Ymmv