Roon Core Machine

Nucleus+ Serial Number Serial #54B2039C4AD0

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Hardwired Fortinet router with Cisco switches

Connected Audio Devices

Meridian 218 + ID41

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

Nucleus+ will not back up - message saying “Error backing up database”. I have two backup locations, a new cleanUSB drive attached to the Nucleus and a NAS. Neither working. This is a clean backup as I had been having problems with previous backups. Running build 1021.

This is a problem I have been having for months and so far the only solutions I have found is to restart the Nucleus when it freezes because it can’t back up.

And what is the make and model of the USB drive (possibly with a link to the manufacturer or a shop page)?

Lacie Rugged USB-C

That model looks great. With what file system is it formatted? Does it work on on a PC or laptop?

It works fine with my Apple iMac and seems to be seen by the Nucleus when I connect to it over the LAN.

When I ask Roon to do a backup, it fails instantly if that makes any difference. It doesn’t even appear to try to start a backup.

And now the whole sodding system doesn’t work. Just getting the spinning logo.

And yet everything is supposedly running fine.

Why is this new update so rubbish?

I back up every night to 1 TB USB HDD plugged into my Nucleus. Never a problem.

Drives formatted to HFS+, Mac OS journaling, cannot be written to by a Linux OS PC (which is the Nucleus).

Check the drive’s format, if it is HFS+, then you will need to reformat it to exFAT. If you do need to reformat, make sure you copy any data on that drive off prior to the reformat.

I had hoped that this would have been an easy fix but it is exFAT formatted…

1 Like

Hey @Chris_Townsend,

I’m sorry to hear that you’re having problems with your backups. If you go to Settings>Backups>and click view beside Scheduled Backups are you seeing any additional details there?

You may want to try deleting the file paths you have in place now and reconfigure them. Your logs seem to indicate that the path isn’t valid.

These are what I am trying to backup to. I have deleted and reset the paths but given the USB drive is attached, I am not sure how the path can be invalid

Then what happens is this page:

And then a page with just this:
Screenshot 2022-08-04 at 08.36.48

Which then means I need to restart the system again.

Can you say something more about this backup location that you have defined?

It appears to be your NAS - but it seems as though you have defined a Roon Backup folder within a Roon Watched folder for your music. If this is the case, then you should move the Backup folder to another location. A Backup folder should never be held within a Music folder.

1 Like

The backups are on the same NAS as a watched folder but the Backup folder is not within the Roon Watched folder. Even if I delete this backup location, it still won’t backup to the USB drive connected to the Nucleus+ for this express purpose.

Anyone at Roon actually able to help? Three days and I have had one question from a Roon staff member and no solutions. I am seriously regretting having bought 3 life-time licences.

Hey @Chris_Townsend,

Thanks for your patience while our team investigates your issue further. We’ll need you to upload a copy of your current database here, so our team can examine it further.

Here is a walkthrough on how to upload your database.

After doing this, as a next step, we’d like you to reinstall the OS on your nucleus plus. You can do this through the Nucleus UI:

Let me know when you’re able to do the above. I’ll be monitoring this thread for your reply :+1:

OK that’s done. I tried again to back up to the attached Lacie USB drive but no backup has been made. It takes a snapshot and then just reverts to the home page but no backups can be found.

I am travelling for business for the next three weeks so won’t be able to access the Nucleus - perhaps however this will give Roon support enough time to work out what is going wrong.

Thanks for that @Chris_Townsend, I’ve unlisted this thread moving forward to protect any personal information shared.

Our team will take a deeper look into your database you sent over and follow up with next steps :+1:

I’ve heard nothing for a month - emails to community@roonlabs.com get bounced back saying I can’t email this group. How do I get help? This is so frustrating…