Error Loading Database after update to 1.8 (831)

Roon Core Machine

Core is on a late 2012 MacBook Pro, 2.3 Ghz Core i7, 16 GB RAM

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Verizon Fios router → Netgear Orbi, wifi

Connected Audio Devices

USB → Schiit Gungnir multibit dac
Apple TV
NADC338 integrated amplifier to 2.1 system via Chromecast

Number of Tracks in Library

Approximately 100,000 tracks

Description of Issue

I got an “There’s an issue loading your database” error while trying to upgrade to 1.8 (831). I have 2 backups, but they aren’t very old, same error with those. I wasn’t aware of the ‘latent’ corruption issue and so didn’t keep a series of older backups. As I understand it, I’m out of luck here - if I don’t have a backup that isn’t also corrupted all I can do is reinstall Roon, re-add all my music and start over, correct?

I’ve seen instructions to upload corrupt databases elsewhere for analysis on your end, I’ll do that.

I do have a backup sitting around from v 1.7 November 2019. Does anyone have thoughts about pros and cons of restoring that one versus starting fresh? I have used Roon since June 2015 so I’d only be losing 2 years of data instead of 6+, but not sure if that would create other issues?

Disappointed with the issue of ‘latent’ corruption, had no idea it was something I needed to account for. Thanks for any assistance, cheers.

Hi @kneville, thanks for uploading the database, that will definitely help future improvements here.

As for the older backup vs starting fresh: That’s totally up to your preference. That backup should still work, so you should be all good using it.

I’d also be sure to take a look at SSD and RAM on your Core machine to make sure there isn’t the possibility of failing components causing additional issues in the future.

1 Like

Hi Dylan - my old database is 31.17 GB compressed. I see the upload limit on the database corruption website is 10 GB. Any alternatives? Thanks.

Hi @kneville, since it’s that large we can go without the upload — We’ve been collecting some others and 31.7 is quite large, it’ll take a long time to upload and download from our service. We appreciate the offer, though!

1 Like