Error loading database on MacOS

I have this problem, too. It spent ages updating the database (~six hours), and then I got the message. Restart hasn’t helped, will try suggested remedies tomorrow. Database is ~35GB.

Mac OS 10.14.6, DB is on hardware RAID 0 2xSSD; all drives check out fine. Mac Pro Trashcan, dual 700/32GB RAM. 12 TB of music or so. Music files are on 7200 RPM drives in an ARECA RAID enclosure attached via Thunderbolt 2. All drives online and reporting no problems.

Hi @Andrew_Webb - sorry for the trouble here.

So we can take a closer look, are you able to access your database and zip up the Logs folder for us?

If you can zip up that folder and send us a Dropbox link, we can get a sense of what’s gone wrong here. If you can’t access the database, or if you don’t have anywhere to upload the Zip file, just let us know. We’ll walk you through the next steps here so we can figure out what’s gone wrong.

Thanks in advance for your patience, and sorry again for the trouble here.

Hello Dylan. Here are the logs.
I also moved my database and symlinked it, and downloaded and reinstalled Roon. Roon folder is now on a faster RAID.

Hi @Andrew_Webb,

I’m getting an error when I try to access the logs from Dropbox. Can you try sending them over again?

Sorry. Try this.

Hi @Andrew_Webb,

Apologies for the delay here. I met with the senior technical team to discuss the log files that you sent us and they’ve given us some next steps.

Can you navigate to the following path in your Roon database and let us know how large this file is?

RoonFolder/Database/Core/USERID/broker_2.db

Once we have that information we can decide our next steps from there.

Dylan:

Tha path [RoonFolder/Database/Core/USERID/broker_2.db] shows up as a folder with 5792 items, such as “251063.db”. Most of them are 2MB. The total of the folder is 9.3GB.

These other files are in there, too:

[CURRENT
LOCK
LOG
LOG.old
MANIFEST-5783009]

Hi @Andrew_Webb — Thanks for passing that along.

I spoke with the team and they’re hoping you could send us over your Roon database so we can take a closer look. Please see the following steps:

1. Stop Roon on the Core machine
  2. Navigate to your Database Location
  3. Zip up the entire Roon folder
  4. Send us the zipped folder via a shared Dropbox link or any other file sharing service

Thanks!

Upload in progress. It will here (folder)

It will be about an hour, it’s 52 GB and Dropbox is slow, even on my 1 gig connection.

Much appreciated, @Andrew_Webb. If you’re able, please keep this link available during the time we investigate. Right now the technical team is downloading this, but we will likely need to have our development team download it later as well.

I’ll be sure to reach out as soon as their investigation has concluded and I have received their feedback.

Will do.

Shall I upload my music library, too? Only ~14 Terabytes. Might take a tad longer :slight_smile:

Any ideas? Two weeks with no Roon now.
@dylan

Hi @Andrew_Webb,

First, you have our apologies for the delay here. I checked with the team on this and requested an update. We are currently doing some internal investigations in our QA labs, but I don’t have any further updates at this time.

While we continue to investigate this issue you can use a new database with Roon. You can do this by doing the following:

• Close Roon on the Core machine
  • Navigate to your Roon’s Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “Roon”
  • Rename the “Roon” folder to “Roon_old” (make sure you keep this Roon_Old folder here — You’ll want this later)
  • Restart/Reinstall the Roon App to generate a new Roon folder

Thanks. Just doing that now. Shouldn’t take more than a week to rebuild the DB.16 Cores churning up a storm.

Bummer. Looks like all my favorites are gone. And all my playlists, Guess I should have expected that. Any way to extract that info from my old DB?

Hi @Andrew_Webb,

The only way to recover the database would be to restore a backup. You can give this a try, but if the problem in the database that is causing this issue exists in the backup as well then you will be back in the same state.

However, the team is currently investigating this and is making progress in understanding the issue you are experiencing, so my suggestion is to hang tight with the fresh database temporarily until we hear back from the team.

I tried the backups. They don’t load, either. Current is full of errors (mostly breaking albums into single tracks, which is quite annoying, and Roon now fails when using Qobuz most of the time, so Radio doesn’t work at all. I’ve just gone to using the Qobuz app, and abandoning Roon for the moment.

Hi @Andrew_Webb,

We’ve recently released Roon 1.7 (Build 511) which includes changes that should improve this behavior. Please give it this a try and let us know how it goes!

You can read the full release notes here:

Thanks,
The Team at Roon Labs

Should I load my new database, or the old one?