Error Message - Metadata improver halted

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Sonictransporter v2.7 Roon 1.7 build 571

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Shaw Cable Bluecurve modem. Running through an Ethernet connection.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

I have several endpoints but today I’m using my PC.

Description Of Issue

I’ve had this issue a few times where there is an error message saying “Metadata Improver: Halted. Roon needs a software update.” Normally I can stop Roon on the server and reboot tit. This usually fixes it temporarily. However, not today. I’ve tried a couple of times and the error message persists. Can you suggest anything else?

Hello @Stephen_Graham, and thanks for your report! Generally this issue is resolved by a reboot but we have sen cases like this where that doesn’t work. Mostly those were related to something going on with their network setup. Could you please temporarily disable your fire wall and antivirus and see if that makes the message go away?

That strikes me as a little dangerous. I have two firewalls. One in Windows and one on my router. Plus I run Windows Defender. If I shut all that off am I not completely exposing my network?

I believe the operating word is ‘temporary’. Just to rule it out as a cause of the problem. (I’d start with the reboot though.)

1 Like

I rebooted first and lo and behold, it worked today. I tried that three times yesterday and it didn’t work. Do you know if this issue is a Roon issue or a hardware problem? I use the Sonic Transporter for my Roon core.

Hello @Stephen_Graham, we’re still investigating reports of this message for those who cannot solve it with a reboot, so I cannot say for sure exactly what causes it. In most of the cases we’ve seen its been a networking issue, though. Hence my suggestion about the firewall. But I’m glad things are working again!

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.