Windows Error message 'This device is not compatible with Roon 2.0' after updating to version 2.0.16 [Fix: Turn off Windows Compatibility mode for Roon.exe]

Roon Core Machine

Windows 11 Pro 22H2- Ryzen 5600X - 16GB - Nvidia 3080 TI

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Ethernet

Connected Audio Devices

Teac AI-101DA

Number of Tracks in Library

+3000

Description of Issue

I was using Roon Version 2.0.15 without any issues, but after receiving the prompt to update to version 2.0.16 and installing it, I am now getting the error message “This device is not compatible with Roon 2.0. For more information, please visit https://go.roonlabs.com/Roon/Help_Roon2

I also updated the graphics drivers to the latest version (531.79).

1 Like

Got the same message on Windows 10 pro 22H2 OS build 19045.2913

Hi, @agustin_bergia, @Alex_Yan, thank you for your posts. Could you, please, use the directions found here and send over a set of logs from the affected Windows machine to our File Uploader?

Thanks!

Ivan

Roon Core Machine

AMD Ryzen 9 3950X 64.0 GB Ram Windows 10 Pro 22H2 19045.2913

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Asus Router but this is not relevent here - I cannot open the application

Connected Audio Devices

Stack Audio Link II and Project Streambox S2 into Benchmark DAC2

Number of Tracks in Library

Roughly 50,000 tracks

Description of Issue

This morning 5/9/2023 I went to update the roon application to the latest version in the interface. After this nothing happened. I rebooted my computer and ran the downloaded room Rooninstaller64.exe and after initially telling me my pc was incompatible I ran this as administrator and it installed but never opened the application. After full uninstall including my database and reboot I attempted to reinstall running as administrator. The application will still not open.

Roon was running perfectly up to this point and now I cannot use the application.

Hi, @Christopher_Hughes, could you, please, provide .NET Framework version running on your Windows machine? It can be done using the following steps:

1. Open The Registry Editor: Press the Windows key + R to open the Run window. Search “regedit” and press enter to open the Registry Editor.

2. Navigate To The .Net Registry Key: In the Registry Editor, navigate to the following key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP to find the .Net Registry Key.

3. Check The .Net Version: Expand the main version key and then select the Client key. The value for the current version should be listed here. If you’re running a version that is older than version .Net 4, the key will be displayed as a number or a “setup.” Finally, check the version string on the right to determine your version.

cc: @agustin_bergia, @Alex_Yan, could you, please, run the same test and provide the output of the command I mentioned above?

Thanks!

Ivan

Ivan - I determined the root cause of the issue. It appears back in version 1.8 to try to troubleshoot issues that I had updating to one of the versions in that branch I’d set Roon.exe to run in Windows 8 compatibility mode and forgot that I’d set this a year ago. When I removed this compatibility mode setting the application ran. I am now able to again use the application. I see my issue was merged with this one but for me this is fully closed now.

1 Like

Thank you for the update, @Christopher_Hughes! I am glad that you were able to get the app working again.

@Alex_Yan, @agustin_bergia, could you, please, check if you have Roon running in compatibility mode or not?

Thanks!

Ivan

Got the same message with Windows 11 home 22H2 OS build 22621.1702. Roon worked fine until update today.

Hi Ivan,

I checked and it was the same error as @Christopher_Hughes. I had it set to compatibility mode “Windows 7”, I removed it and now it’s working.

Thank you very much for your support.

4 Likes

Okay! It works now. Thanks very much!

3 Likes

@Martin_van_den_Nouwe, could you, please, check you are running Roon in the compatibility mode?

Thanks!

Ivan

When can we expect fix for this? I won’t be taking any logs nor set any compatibility modes. I want to be able to listen to music like I can do with all others FREE audio players I have.

You are not being asked “to set any compatibility modes” - we are being asked to check whether we have had a compatibility mode set for a previous version of Windows, and if so, to clear it and see if that fixes this issue (which it seems to do for some of us).

1 Like

I was using Roon on a Dell Workstation running Windows 11 with all the latest updates. After upgrading to the latest version per Roon’s suggestion Roon no longer works and reports the above error - “This device is not compatible with Roon 2.0. For more information, please visit https://go.roonlabs.com/Roon/Help_Roon2 . This is beyond unacceptable. I have not seen a compatibility issue on any software for YEARS now. Come on. Get it fixed!

UPDATE - Compatibility “fix” result was that Roon will not load at all now. The error does not appear, but Roon does not load and so cannot be used.

UPDATE 2 - I finally found the correct Roon.exe file and unchecked the compatibility settings and now Roon loads properly. So this appears to work. Why don’t they tell you this when you upgrade? lol

If you have applied compatibility settings in the past, then these won’t work with the latest build of Roon, and you need to clear them. For example:

Thanks for all this.

Trying not to appear too dense but could someone take me through the procedure?

Many thanks

Look at the Properties of Roon.exe and check the Compatibility tab.

The Roon.exe program will usually be found in C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Roon\Application. For example:

I

I seem to be on the right page. What do I do now?

Or, if you have a Roon ICON on your desktop, right click on that, then left click on Properties and you’ll see the Compatibility tab. Click that and turn-off.

EDIT: Remove the checkmark.

Well, that screenshot shows that you have Compatibility Mode switched ON for Windows 8 - you need to turn it OFF. You should not have any Compatibility Mode engaged.

3 Likes