ETA for Android app? [Android app was released already]

Url not found (yet i guess).

Patience, practice my patience, i know…

Google Play tells me that none of my devices are compatible with Roon :cry:

What are the minimum specs for running Roon android?

Looks great on my Nexus 9!

@Skywatcher … i have to see what @jeremiah put as requirements… what tablet do you have?

I’ve seen the problem @danny. The app is 4.4+ and my tablet is still on 4.2.2

Will have to see if there’s an update. Bummer…

Which tablet?

Onda V971
http://www.onda-tablet.com/onda-v971-quad-core-a31-9-7-inch-retina-screen-android-tablet-pc-wifi-hd-2160p-16gb.html

Its only job is to be UPnP control point, but was hoping to be able to keep it for Roon.
Might have to add a new tablet to the shopping list along with the mini-pc for Roon core. :no_mouth:

Dont know how that tablet is physically built, but the specs on it are great. You gotta get the vendor to update your software.

If you are getting something new, I recommend the Google Nexus 9. It performs very well, and will always have the latest Android software. Anyone going to Android 5.1 will attest to how much of an improvement it made in performance.

Downloading it down to a Nexus 10. It indicated there had only been 10 downloads. Are the 000’s omitted :wink:

@audio2addict – on my nexus 10, but no other tablet, the fonts look funny. is this the case on your nexus 10 too?

@danny – on my nexus 10 it mimics the screen on the server which is 46 inch TV.

Hey @audio2addict – we use the same interface on all platforms, so yeah, the Android app will look basically identical to the Mac and PC interfaces.

Why on earth would you do something weird like that? (he said in a friendly yet serious way…)

The systems below have completely different ways the user would interact with them:

1. A computer with a normal screen, keyboard and mouse/trackpad
  2. A computer with a big touch screen
  3. A medium sized tablet
  4. A phone
  5. A computer hooked up to a TV

A computer user doesn’t like to move the mouse pointer back and forth over the screen, while a tablet user have no problem tapping any part of the screen.

With simple scaling rather than resizing the GUI elements will be way too big on a big screen and too tiny on a small screen. Some things in todays GUI will probably not even be visible on a phone.

A TV user would hate using the keyboard, hate using the remote to move all over the screen. He want to step right, left up and down, and then enter and exit. 6 functions in total.

Why not take advantage of the different platforms so that a big computer screen would be the natural choice for editing and managing your library, the tablet the ultimate player control with access to all metadata and nice cover arts, and finally the phone/mini table more like a remote but still being able to play the music?

(Anyone fond of Windows 8 and their strange mix of tablet and computer?)

1 Like

I have to take the opposite view: just this morning I was wondering how Roon’s design is perfectly executed, giving the ‘full Roon experience’ on every platform it runs on, regardless of individual OS design cues.

In my humble opinion, it actually works equally well on tablet/touch and mouse interface. There IS some reformatting going on for different display resolutions, mainly in the amount of artists / albums shown per screen.

Well I hope the interface isn’t exactly like the desktop apps with to regards to navigating the artist and album lists. I use the start typing in artist view to quick jump and since android and iOS don’t have keyboards they will need jump lists or fast scrolling of some sort. I don’t particularly want to hit search each time to peruse my 2500+ artists.

An alphabet navigator underneath artists and albums is upcoming.

1 Like

I sure could use it on my Android phone… (HTC One).

…Steve>>>

Is there a plan ultimately to have roon run from an android smart phone as a remote ? Or will that be roon speakers?

yes, and yes.

However, it won’t be the full blown Roon app, as that would be too detailed for the small real estate of the phone. It’ll be much more of a slimmer UI that is easier to use on the phone.

How is the android phone app coming along? Android phone support is a must!