Ethernet over Fibre

Isn’t the thread about Ethernet over fibre, not USB isolation?

+1 on the sound of a used Cisco 2960 switch fed by fs.com fiber networking products

I am reacting to this -

if you use a crummy power supply in the converter at the other end, then nothing has been accomplished. Same goes for power supplies of streamers and DACs.

Why fuss with fiber, just get a streamer, DAC, etc. that is galvanicall isolated. There are plenty out there.

You’re right though this discussion was about Ethernet. I just use USB, so got my wire crossed, so to speak.

1 Like

It was a couple of weeks ago :sweat_smile:

1 Like

And @xxx, you know the Ethernet connections in streamers and dacs “out there” are properly galvanically isolated how?

1 Like

If you’re keying off the word ‘properly’, then I know the way one knows most things about a device, i.e. from the manufacturer’s description.

Use this at the input to your local audio network input
Not at router output it isolates galvanically
It’s about 150 USD
No psu
No data conversions
Will lower noise floor
Will not allow any voltage power variance
Enjoy

1 Like

Which of course is why I said “I’d also recommend a decent LPS to power at least the last media converter box to ensure you’re not injecting noise back into the last copper connection” in one of my previous posts.

1 Like

You are wasting your time. Some folks believe nothing matters, and we should either buy cheap stuff on Amazon, or buy nothing. For some reason same few guys jump in every single thread to proclaim everything as unnecessary or snake oil

This might be viewed as a tad of a slight exaggeration. Of course there are legitimate debates about the efficacy of various tweaks. Some have some basis is science or common sense, others are truly ridiculous, especially when prices go astronomical.

Nope. It’s true. It goes like this: if I cannot afford it, it’s certainly snake oil, and I don’t even need to try it

There are some things you don’t need to try to know they are ridiculous. Where you draw that line helps define whether you are a reasonable person on either side of the debate.

There’s plenty of snake oil in this world and audio is no exception, but it just sticks out more with the prices some of these things cost. W.C. Fields had a point to make. But that does not mean that every tweak is snake oil.

How about: if I cannot afford it, I leave it alone? Wouldn’t this be better than bashing it?

I guess reasonable opinions may differ. In a forum like this, it would be pretty boring if there weren’t differences of opinion.

Some posters have no idea what they’re talking about but others are like PhD’s and if one reads critically and skeptically one can still learn a lot, even if they are bashing something. If someone is just bashing without providing any actual information (or at least humor), that’s just trolling.

I can’t say I would leave alone some patently ridiculous claim whether I’d tried it or not.

I’ve tried to keep my tweaks sensible and logical, with some basis in science or engineering. But some tweaks look like they’re geared to literally indicate someone’s wealth…just bling…like tricked up cars.

Interesting. I think you and I are different. I choose to leave alone something I cannot try or cannot afford. Not my business

There’s some difference between being in a forum and being at someone’s house and looking at their pride and joy system. In the latter I don’t expect I’d bust out laughing if I saw a $10k ethernet cable.

That is not to say forums don’t have any sense of manners. They’re just different. Someone posting in a forum is seeking feedback of some sort.

And unfortunately, that feedback is often given by people with zero hands on experience on the subject. They just “know”

And when diverted to USB isolation, spoils the thread somewhat. Ethernet over fibre is a current thing, cheap upgrades in SQ, well worth chatting about, moderately tweaky but mostly plug and play so helpful for the community. No snake oil involved, just science. There’s always one but it takes all sorts to make the world go round…AND nobody has mentioned MQA (whoops).

Has anyone actually listened to Ethernet over fibre?
Perhaps they could give this thread some feedback, rather than this thread ‘digressing’ (or should I say ‘regressing’?) any further… :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Deleted …