Ethernet "treatment"?

Ask your favourite salesmen. He will craft an answer that will likely be what you’re looking for. A good salesmen will always tell you what you want to hear based on your personal beliefs. Rarely the truth, but the truth rarely lands sales.

Blue Jeans Cables would disagree.

1 Like

When did this actually happen? I don’t remember that post.

1. I’ve captured tracks in the past with a 315 foot generic cable ($0.30/ft) and 3 foot cable at $233/ft and participants couldn’t tell any difference.

2. For years now I’ve offered all takers several thousands of dollars to participate in a bias controlled evaluation session. So far no takers. I’ve even offered it in this very thread.

What I mean by recanting: If you make one statement with sighted evaluation and you can not confirm that prior statement in bias controlled evaluation you have indeed recanted.

Here’s a DAC that would make any forum objectivist drool. Don’t waste your money on a Benchmark. Anything beyond this, is beyond the threshold of audibility. Passes the Jtest with flying colors and is only $9!

http://www.kenrockwell.com/apple/lightning-adapter-audio-quality.htm

This tussle between empiricists and idealist has been going on 300+ years, at least since Berkeley and Locke. We’re not going to resolve it here.

Of course they would agree. Anyone who would buy their cables, only would because they believe that they’re as good as it gets. Me personally find them too expensive. Fiber can be found much cheaper.

http://www.fs.com/products/42139.html

Fiber is great. I wish manufactures in the audio world would offer more of it. But even products supporting Ravenna are still using RJE. I don’t see how the entire market has missed your point. Am I missing something? Are all the other engineers at the likes of Apogee, Presonus, FocusRite, RME, Lynx, et all missing something?

For the home environment I don’t suggest either RJE or Optical. Wireless is affordable, much easier to run and gets you way more performance than any 32/384, 32/768, DSD Quad rate could even come close to saturating.

If you’re the type of guy who thinks something shouldn’t be done because everyone isn’t doing it you wouldn’t make it very far in business.

I’m not in the business. Focusrite, RME, Lynx, Apogee, PreSonus are however and they seem to be doing ok. I wonder how that’s possible.

Then we have Mivera Audio who I never heard of till this thread.

You must have went to some EE college that no one else can get to deep in the Himalayas shrouded by clouds and taught by monks. All the other EE’s at the other companies simply went to college on the short yellow bus.

Why would you buy any of those overpriced boxes when Apple sells a DAC for $9 that’s as good as it gets? No cables required.

Most likely my needs might be different.

Well any good objectionist shouldn’t spend more than $50 on an external DAC. They all know jitter isn’t audible, and as long as the SNR is better than 100db you have the holy grail.

Hey Alan: Nicely said !

Indeed, many times cable sophistication including Ethernet, HDMI and USB has easily recognizable audible distinctions. Sadly, as you move up the price ladder (use Audoiquest here as an example) and particularly when one enters the silver models --the audible improvements are often profound ! (As can be the emptying of your wallet paying for it. lol) Sad. But true. I’ve "experienced it repeatedly, the glaringly obvious sonic distinctions (as customers did in their OWN homes) time and time and time again.
Myself, with a deep and long Hi-Fi (audio) association have long recognized these audible distinctions (I must stress, many times the profound improvements) as designers/engineers continue to unravel the “mystery” !

And make no mistake, in this arena ‘cables’, there are some very, very talented and clever men out there.

Alan, try one of AQ’s (higher silver content) such as the Ethernet “Vodka”.
My brother just received his, along with a the AQ ‘Vodka’ HDMI and the respected AQ Diamond USB.cable.

Happy listening,

peter jasz

Woah, that sounds like some impressive history-philosophy talk !
Was a College education required ?

You may have missed the Industrial Revolution, Material Sciences advancements and an explosion of other intricate discovery’s since Berkeley & Locke. It seems you have no escaped that discipline’s grip --and illusion. propelled by routine “shots” of morphine.

You also fail to recognize there was not much else to do back in 1717 A.D --for the non-mathematically inclined academic that is --except to rehash some even older dialog.

peter jasz

Touche’ !

Although, the $19. one may be required for the “golden ears” ! lol

pj

No such thing as golden ears. If anybody hears better sound from anything more expensive without an ABX test, it’s imagined.

If you are so confident that you hear audible differences , why don’t you win yourself some $$$$ by taking up @Mark_Brown challenge? I would wager those differences will vanish when you do not ‘see’ the cable.

3 Likes

Mike: Are you kidding ?

I always find it interesting that ones surname is often at odds with the topic in hand. But that’s another discussion.

“Save your money. Un-shielded twisted pair cables from Cable to Go or anywhere else are perfectly fine.”

So is McDonalds (why eat anywhere else?). And so are a $10. pair of shoes at Payless. And so too a sub-compact automobile at the lowest, dirtiest price imaginable (I really wonder is those cars get the “A” grade air-bags, if any at all).

The list can go on and on. There are connoisseurs out there and then the average Joe’s.

Your thoughtful recommendation of “saving your money” is most altruistic.
Yet those with both the means (and desire) for something better should not be dissuaded --not that you “warning” carries any weight.

Summarizing then, there are far smarter men struggling with the “Shouldn’t be. But is” reality, and bit by bit answers shall surface. I believe Quantum Mechanics (is its various guises) shall me most telling, offering up answers yes, but likely even more questions.

Have fun waiting around. Or, if you really enjoy music (deeply), borrow cables from (among others) The Cable Company (USA). For a small fee, trial any cable you doubt could have any audible impact whatsoever. In other words, a (1-2 week?) in-home trial evaluation.

And then report back …

peter jasz

Nastiness completely uncalled for in this forum.

1 Like