EtherREGEN with an AfterDark OCXO clock; WOW

Perhaps the Lumin didn’t notice either… :wink:

1 Like

He isn’t at all. There isn’t any extra circuits inside. He is using the TTL output available on the clock. Don’t be fooled. Open you clock. Share a picture.

BTW: Ever figured out to measure phase noise one a square wave :laughing:

The way to test is to use the switch from internal to external clock on EtherRegen while it’s running in either mode.
Pull the power plug in and out. So you have approximately only 5 seconds in loss of music switching between the alternatives.

The extra ports in use on A side shouldn’t affect the outcome of B, which you’re testing. Clocks is located B side. This is also why B>A may not be as good as A>B when an external clock is in use, as the clock will have added extra phase noise crossing the moat.

1 Like

I agree in what Alex says. Still people seems to disagree with him :grinning:
I think this is system dependent as well the listeninger ears. I’m using a LPS-1.2

To bad we don’t have other sites that do measurements apart from Amir’s site.
I just did a post there, and some of those people resting there, can be compared to those that still says the earth is flat. The response I got was shocking.

I agree using your best PS on the clock, as there’s hardly anything inside the clock regulate power feed.

Did you ever look inside ?

Thank you for that clarification. :slight_smile:

OK, well I was not inclined to say this initially, so my next statement will be - by definition - heresay. I have an online friend that has been in communication with AfterDark who asked how he could convert sine to square without adding cost. I don’t know what the technical details of his reply was, but apparently (I did not see the email) he did admit that the sine wave clocks sounds better. So again, for any reader here, that is heresay: unproven and unprovable. But for myself, I trust my friend. I know the whole “he said… she said” thing is a slippery slope, so was reticent to share that.

And no, I have not looked in the box. AfterDark has made it very clear over at Audiophile Style that he’s unwilling to share pictures, so I’m going to respect that. We all know that implies he’s got something to hide. For myself I’m willing to assume it’s a design that’s easy to copy, and doesn’t want the competition to see.

And with that, I’m stepping out of the conversation. Will let the community take it from here…

1 Like

9 posts were split to a new topic: Uptone etherRegen and ASR

It’s an of the shelf item available “anywhere”. And Adrian has never stated himself on AS not to share pictures.
You should really open that box.

I personally use this switch with great success:

OCXO clock built in. Linear power supply built in. One box. Affordable

This thread is about an EtherREGEN with an OCXO clock. Any discussion that is not about the use of BOTH products together is Off Topic.

Moderators please take note.

1 Like

10 posts were split to a new topic: Is burn-in real?

Which DAC though !?

Hi R1200CL,

Believe Adrian of Afterdark had clarified that it is native square wave from clock manufacturer for the Queen Square wave version meant for ER.

Cheers

Well, great material sounds fabulous. Mediocre material remains mediocre. And poor source material now sounds even more like crap.

Hi Scolly,

Exact observation on my AD Emperor double crown … to the teeth !

Had hoped John’s recommended low pass filter will somehow alleviate the worsen poor source of Singapore’s local fm internet radio station at 64kbps but seems you already are with the filter and same observations.

Guess some audiophile call it “revealing” w.r.t. a complete music playback system but had not experienced or heard to such huge extent before. Any reason even speculated this is the case and even how to alleviate this situation as also posted in audiophilestyle’s thread ?

Please dun get me wrong, I am still glad for the products of ER and external 10M clock from Uptone and AfterDark not withstanding quite a bit of coins for the fabulous sound quality with full flac stations like HiOnline, Frequence 3 etc. but will be nice if poor source of local fm station remains at least listenable which is not the case now … perhaps due to the huge disparity now.

Cheers.

Thanks for the post. I’m glad someone else has the same observations.

IMO you hit the nail on the head. “Revealing” is the perfect word. And IMO also the cause of the problem of bad stuff sounding worse. I recently was lucky enough to have another, dramatic example of that problem, when I upgraded my already nice speaker cables to a pair of Silversmith Audio Fideliums. The difference they made in terms of added realism was MANY times more dramatic than the change from an ER with AD OCXO clock. It was an enormous bump up in realism. But now I cannot bear to listen to poor material. At all. Sounds horrible. But the great stuff is glorious.

It’s a trade-off with any upgrade making your system more revealing, and a decision that people make. Or not. For myself it means that thousands of recordings I made of my old vinyl is now just unlistenable. It’s a trade-off I’m willing to accept. But other people may feel differently.

Yup, I would bin my system if I couldn’t enjoy all of my music on it.

Just unboxed mine (King version with external power supply), will give it time to warm up and report back.

Regarding power, I think I’ve read it’s undesirable to power it and the ER from the dual output LPS - anything to this?

So fired it up yesterday evening and first impressions were, terrible! Best way to describe it was everything sounded slightly fuzzy, similar to FM radio with a slightly dodgy reception.

Thankfully, having left it on for over 20 hours I’m putting the above down to my impatience and it sounds bloody great this morning.

I’ve mainly focused on acoustic tracks so far (Nick Drake, Willie Dunne, etc) and to my ears at least, the level of detail is greatly enhanced with much more clarity and separation than before.

Hopefully will get chance to crank up the volume this afternoon and play some “bigger” tracks, but if this morning is anything to go by, it’s looking like a good addition in my set up (Topping D90 / Pre90, MF M2Si, MA Silver 200s).

if you power both the ER and the AD clock using the same LPS (dual output), you are shorting the moat in the ER.

Power to ER is into the A side
Clock in ER is on the B side

Honestly, I don’t understand what that means!

Anyone try this combination plus ENO ag Filter?

1 Like