Exclusive mode now only works with max sample rate 48 and Roon crashes all the time

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Core is on MacMini late 2012 (Mojave 10.14.4)

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Ethernet

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

MacMini late 2012 (Catalina 10.15.7) -> HDMI -> Denon AVR-7200WA

Description Of Issue

When I configure my MacMini to Exclusive Mode, I get no sound for high def files (DSD64 etc) and Roon “runs through them” without playing them. Moreover, Roon more often than not crashes. Without the Exclusive Mode these high def files play fine but the final stage is then OSMixed. The Denon AVR supports 196KHz and 32 bit.
If I set the max sample rate to 48 Khz I can use exclusive mode but my music is first downsampled to 44.1

I cannot remember having made any changes to Roon or the MacMini in the last few days, but it certainly worked fine before. I did update Roon a few days ago to the latest version though.

Hi @Luke23,

Can you please share a screenshot of your Device Setup tab for this zone?

Here you go. Nothing out of the ordinary as far as I can see, apart from the 48KHz.

1 Like

Hi @Luke23,

Thanks for that screenshot, it does look as expected.

Can you please let me know the exact local time + date + track you see this behavior occur on next and let me know in this thread?

Please provide two timestamps, one where the track skips through and one where Roon crashes so we can separate these two symptoms.

The Roon client crashed Wednesday 01.01 AM. I have not yet been able to reproduce the skipping behaviour. This may be because I reinstalled the client again and updated the Core machine from Mojave to Catalina. I’ll try again tonight.

Hi @Luke23,

Thanks for letting me know the crash timestamp and for trying the reinstall.

Can you please use these instructions to send me a set of Roon logs from the PC which is crashing?

I’ll look into that tomorrow. Meanwhile Roon has gone completely beserk. At 00.31 (Tuesday 17 Nov) it crashed again. My recently scanned 96 24 bit files cannot be played anymore. In fact only standard def from my own collection can be played. Qobuz stopped working as well. When I start Roon Qobuz tells me it is not signed in. When I check it is signed in fine. I signed out and back in again. It makes no difference. Not a single track from Qobuz plays. There are no error messages. Roon played fine for years. What is going on? It started with missing album art in Qobuz, which gradually got worse. Restarting the core sometimes worked but then the album art went missing again, and again at increasing frequencies. Now Roon misbehaves on every audio outlet I have.

You can download the logs here: https://ln2.sync.com/dl/3468bff70/pzrk4eib-w7xeg269-tcicjxdj-d3zpghnh

Here is an example of my typical Qobuz screen (from a different client this time. Qobuz appears to be working again this morning).

Here is another, this time of my own library following a search for Arvo Pärt:

Clearing the cache in this case appears to have helped:

However, this is only partially successful. Following a search the result drops the album art again:

The next morning Qobuz worked again on most of my clients but I am still having problems on one. I logged out and back in again and when I call up Qobuz it briefly shows the pink message stating presumably (it is too fast) that I am not logged in, then tells me there is a problem loading the page and the Qobuz page stays completely blank.

The problem with high res tracks remains. Oh, I completely removed the relevant client this afternoon and reinstalled in the hope this might solve some of my problems. It didn't.

I uploaded the logs as requested 5 days ago but so far not a single response. Perhaps I muddled the issue with my rant about the Qobuz problems we were having, so let me start a new Qobuz support request and could you please pursue this 48KHz problem.

1 Like

Hi @Luke23,

Thanks again for sending those logs over, I do notice a crash trace here which I will inquire with QA regarding.

It looks as if the logs you sent me are from a Roon Remote PC, is that correct? To troubleshoot the 48Khz, can you please also send me a set of the logs from the Core (RoonServer) instance?

Is there any change in behavior if you try to host the Roon Core on one of the PCs currently running Roon Remote?

• Open Roon on the other PC you wish to try as the Core
  • Roon Settings -> General
  • Disconnect
  • On the “Choose your Core” screen, press “Use this PC”
  • If asked to Unauthorize, you can go ahead and do so. You are limited to one active Roon Core at a time but you are free to switch between them as often as you’d like.
  • Verify if the same behavior occurs on the different PC

Yes the previous logs are from the Roon client. I have uploaded the core logs now as well using the same link I used previously.

Before I move the core could you perhaps let me know a little more why? What if I moved it to another Mac Mini? Or is it more important to move it to an entirely different machine (Windows PC perhaps?). Can this move be easily undone or do I have to setup Roon from scratch again?

Hi @Luke23,

Thank you for attaching the Core logs and for your patience while I had a chance to look into this further.

Upon inspection of your Core logs, I am noticing quite an array of networking issues present, including issues with communicating with our account servers, image servers and communicating with Qobuz’s servers.

Can you please provide some more details regarding your network setup? What is the model/manufacturer of your networking gear?

Are you using Cloudflare DNS, Quad9 or Google DNS as your DNS servers on the router?

The goal of this test is to see if another machine running the Roon Core on the same network exhibits the same issues. If it does, we know we need to look at the network further, but if another machine does not exhibit this issue, then we know to investigate the Mac Mini more closely.

Yes, you are free to switch Cores as often as you’d like but you can only have one active at a time. To be extra safe, you can also create a Backup of your Roon database prior to switching Cores.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.