Experiencing frequent "hanging" between tracks or after pauzing music

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Roon ROCK (Version 1.0 (build 183) stable) on Intel NUC7i7 running Roon Server (Version 1.7 (build 505) stable)

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

WatchGuard XTM 25 firewall appliance, HPE 2530 48G PoE+ Switch, 3 WatchGuard AP125 access points

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Wireless endpoints: NAD T 777v3 , Bluesound Pulse Soundbar (2x), Bluesound Node 2, RPi 3+ running Ropieee USB to Meridian Explorer².
Wired endpoints: RPi 3+ running Ropieee (2x) USB to Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital (2x).

Description Of Issue

Roon frequently “hangs” (for minutes) inbetween tracks or when pauzing music (play button is unresponsive after pauzing music). Roon recovers sometimes after some minutes or recovers after restarting Roon Server Software on ROCK.

The screenshot shows the flashing progress bar while Roon is “hanging”.

Hi @seagull,

What kind of Roon Remotes/Clients are you using to access the NUC? Is the behavior the same on multiple Roon Remotes/Clients or is the behavior limited to just the one you shared in the screenshot?

Hi @noris,
Remotes are a Windows 10 laptop and a RPi 3+ with display running RoPieee (both wired), and an Android smartphone and tablet.

Hi @noris
Just to let you know that the issue is still appearing in build 511.
Kind regards,
Wim

Hi @seagull,

In your screenshot I noticed that you were using your Pro-ject zone.
Is the behavior limited to just this one zone or to other zones as well?

When this issue occurs on the Windows PC, does the Android phone and tablet appear to be in the same state (where the pause button is visible)?

Hi @noris
I experienced the same issues when controlling BluOS endpoints from my Android phone.

Hi @seagull,

Thanks for confirming this issue occurs on other endpoints and remotes as well. I wonder if this could be a buffering issue, do you see this occur at all when playing back local tracks?

Also, how are your DNS servers set up? We have seen users have a better experience in the past if they change their DNS servers from the ISP provided ones to Google DNS or Cloudflare DNS. Can you please give this a try and let me know if it helps?

I’ll try to tweak the network settings.
Below two screenshots from my Android phone and BluOS endpoints.

The issue was solved by rebooting the WatchGuard firewall appliance … :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hi @seagull,

Thanks for the update! I would definitely make sure that you ad Roon as an exception to your firewall to prevent similar behavior in the future :slight_smile: .

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.