Experiencing regular dropouts

I’m nearing the end of my free trial so I am hoping I can get help before it’s over.

I experience occasional dropouts, (milliseconds gap in playback), particularly at the start of playing an album.

I am using Mac OS X 10.10.4 on a late 2009 iMac with a 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo and 12 GB RAM playing via files on an external hard drive (Iomega 2TB connected by firewire.)

In Roon settings:
Audio Analysis Speed “Normal”
Memory for Photos/Artwork (256 MB)

I am using a USB DAC (AudioQuest Dragonfly).

Please advise if there are settings I can change or if my hardware is not recent enough to use Roon without dropouts.

Hi @SVinTO – sorry to hear you’re having some dropouts. That machine is a little older, so it’s possible there are some performance issues at play, although I believe we have users with similar setups running without issue.

Some questions:

• Does this happen with all files, or just certain formats?
  • How often are you experiencing these dropouts?
  • How big is your collection?
  • Does anything change when you turn Audio Analysis?
  • If the dropouts are worse with certain files, can you copy one of them to your local drive, so we can eliminate the possibility of an issue with the firewire drive?

So you know, we have some changes coming in our next release to address some scattered reports of dropouts. The new buffering we’ve implemented may fix this issue for you, but I don’t have a firm date for the release yet. Let me know the answers to the above, and we’ll do our best to get this fixed for you soon.

Thanks!

My files are mostly ALAC with some FLAC and AAC. So far, the dropouts have been only ALAC as that’s all I’ve played. When playing FLAC and AAC to test, I didn’t hear dropouts.

Intermittently experiencing dropouts and not when I replay a file that had a dropout. I notice them when albums start.

I have about 44,000 tracks.

Sorry, turn Audio Analysis to what? Currently set at “Normal.”

Thanks