Explain it like I'm 5... why does Roon insist on a startup scan

I truly don’t get it. Needlessly hammering drives as if the content magically changed whilst the core was switched off.

It’s a terrible and seemingly pointless design decision, please allow an opt out and let the luddites suffer the consequences.

:astonished:
Yes, reading your local database to check against metadata in Roon’s cloud, maybe even writing to it to update!
:scream:

Open a feature suggestion thread, then!
:nerd_face:

I think many people never run into this because they don’t turn their Core machine off.

I turn my core off daily, but never notice this because I have an SSD… SSD reads don’t shorten life.

Like you are 5:

To display your content in Roon accurately, Roon needs to know what content “is yours”, on streaming services and locally as well. When Roon is running, it gets notified in real-time from the operating system of any changes to any files in the watched folders, but when Roon is off, it gets no updates. When Roon starts up, it does a quick scan to sync back up so the real-time updates can sync up to a known set of files on disk. The same thing is done via real-time APIs or periodic rescans for the streaming content.

What type of hardware are you running where this matters, Evan?

2 Likes