Export files removes count / total tags which were present in mp4 file metadata [Resolved]

While doing some testing on which tags and what tag contents get exported I noticed that Roon removes count (TOTAL) tags for PART and TRACK:

Original metadata (mediainfo output):

General
Complete name                            : ../[Classical Music]/Orquestra Sinfonica do Estado de São Paulo/Villa-Lobos - Symphonies Nos 1 and 2/1_1_Orquestra-Sinfonica-Do-Estado-De-Sao-Paulo_Symphony-No-1-Op-112-W-114-O-Imprevisto-I-Allegro-assai-moderato_6.m4a
Format                                   : MPEG-4
Format profile                           : Apple audio with iTunes info
Codec ID                                 : M4A  (M4A /mp42/isom)
File size                                : 37.3 MiB
Duration                                 : 7mn 26s
Overall bit rate mode                    : Variable
Overall bit rate                         : 701 Kbps
Album                                    : Villa-Lobos: Symphonies Nos. 1 & 2
Album/Sorted by                          : Villa-Lobos: Symphonies Nos. 1 & 2
Album/Performer                          : Orquestra Sinfônica do Estado de São Paulo
Album/Performer/Sort                     : Orquestra Sinfônica do Estado de São Paulo
Part/Position                            : 1
Part/Total                               : 1
Track name                               : Symphony No. 1, Op. 112, W. 114 "O Imprevisto": I. Allegro assai moderato
Track name/Position                      : 1
Track name/Total                         : 8
Performer                                : Orquestra Sinfônica do Estado de São Paulo
Composer                                 : Heitor Villa-Lobos
Composer/Sorted by                       : Villa-Lobos, Heitor
Genre                                    : Classical / Orchestral Music · Symphonies
Recorded date                            : 2017
Cover                                    : Yes
Rating                                   : None
CONDUCTOR                                : Isaac Karabtchevsky
LABEL                                    : Naxos
wrk                                      : Symphony No. 1, Op. 112, W. 114 "O Imprevisto"
mvn                                      : I. Allegro assai moderato
mvi                                      : 1
mvc                                      : 4
shwm                                     : 1

Roon Export (mediainfo output):

General
Complete name                            : ../Roon-Export-Test/Orquestra Sinfônica do Estado de São Paulo/Villa-Lobos_ Symphonies Nos. 1 & 2/1-01 Symphony No. 1 'O Imprevisto'_I. Allegro assai moderato.m4a
Format                                   : MPEG-4
Format profile                           : Apple audio with iTunes info
Codec ID                                 : M4A  (M4A /mp42/isom)
File size                                : 37.7 MiB
Duration                                 : 7mn 26s
Overall bit rate mode                    : Variable
Overall bit rate                         : 708 Kbps
Album                                    : Villa-Lobos: Symphonies Nos. 1 & 2
Album/Sorted by                          : Villa-Lobos: Symphonies Nos. 1 & 2
Album/Performer                          : Orquestra Sinfônica do Estado de São Paulo
Album/Performer/Sort                     : Orquestra Sinfônica do Estado de São Paulo
Part/Position                            : 1
Track name                               : Symphony No. 1 'O Imprevisto'~I. Allegro assai moderato
Track name/Position                      : 1
Performer                                : Orquestra Sinfónica do Estado de São Paulo, Isaac Karabtchevsky
Composer                                 : Heitor Villa-Lobos
Composer/Sorted by                       : Villa-Lobos, Heitor
Genre                                    : Classical / Symphony
Recorded date                            : 2017
Cover                                    : Yes
Rating                                   : None
ArtworkDescriptor                        : 0,3,
CONDUCTOR                                : Isaac Karabtchevsky
COPYRIGHT                                : (P) 2017 Naxos
LABEL                                    : Naxos
shwm                                     : 1
mvc                                      : 4
mvi                                      : 1
mvn                                      : I. Allegro assai moderato
sid                                      : 320137dd2f6d3a189a438d8eae9a33cdb636
wrk                                      : Symphony No. 1, Op. 112, W. 114 "O Imprevisto"

Since other programs make use of this information it should get kept I think.

@support let me know if you need more info. Thanks :slightly_smiling_face:

It may be related somehow with this topic:

1 Like

This may be slightly different (but related) to my issue, as i can see mvi, mvc fields listed Im guessing this file format is mp4 ?
If it is Mp4 only uses one field trkn to store trackno/total and disc to store discno/total. SO where your original file lists Track Position and Track Total separately are they coming form the single trkn atom ?

Yes, it’s an mp4 container; obviously Roon ignores multiple integers in trkn and disk. I know it’s a bit of a mess with those iTunes tags and specs.

Which seems opposite of my issue, that it expects pos and total in VorbisComment field rather than looking in a different field. Clarification from @joel or someone else at Roon is required.

I think what we have in common here is that TOTALs aren’t taken into account by Roon somehow. But I may be wrong and mix things up. Tend to do so regularly… :wink:

Hi @anon47919701,

I spoke with the team about this, and we were hoping to get some additional information from you here.

1. Was this album identified in Roon?
  2. What software do you use for tagging?
  3. What is the tag format?

Also, would you mind sharing one of the albums that’s experiencing this behavior with us?

Ideally, you can zip up the entire folder and send me private message containing a shared dropbox link. If you don’t have Dropbox or need another way to send the media, just let me know.

Yes. But it doesn’t matter I think because: it’s not album specific. And happens for ID’d and un-ID’d albums.

It depends. When importing from CD:

1. dbPoweramp (*) which is creating the mp4 container
  2. yate to enrich and correct metadata

(*) A few years back I used iTunes so there are files which may have been created by iTunes initially, too.

When importing from vinyl:

1. VinylStudio which also creates the mp4 container
  2. yate

When importing from non-ALAC digital downloads:

1. XLD to transcode and create the mp4
  2. yate

When importing ALAC into my library only yate gets used for metadata tuning.

What do you mean by that?

As discussed further above the values for total tracks and total discs should be in the second integer in the respective track/position or part/position atom of the mp4 (**). They are originally but not when using the Roon export function. I suspect Roon doesn’t need those values and therefore ignores them in the source and - naturally then - does not write them to the exported file.

disk
Before:

After:

trkn seems to have another twist to it regarding how it has to be represented in the atom. But I don’t really know…

I don’t have dropbox but if this behaviour isn’t reproducable using the following steps I’d say why bother because it would only affect me and I don’t depend on it much:

Precondition: any a mp4 packaged audio file with track count and disc count values present; iTunes could get used to check if the values are there and maybe even to write the values to the file if not

Step 1: import into a Roon library

Step 2: export this file from Roon

If the resulting file still contains the count values, all’s fine.

(**) I think - this would have to get checked by someone who really knows something about what’s expected in mp4 atoms and iTunes tags.

Hello @anon47919701,

Thanks for your report here. I have submitted your findings to QA but they have been unable to reproduce using the metadata editors they have, and we do not have access to Yate editor.

Can I please ask you to upload the original tracks which is tagged properly to our servers? The QA team will try to reproduce based on the provided original media and I will PM you shortly on how to upload this file to our servers.

Thanks,
Noris

Our latest release includes a number of changes to exporting including the ability to export non-library content, a new Soundiiz option, and a number of bug fixes. Please see our release notes for details: