Export flakiness

The export function works sometimes and sometimes it doesn’t. I can’t figure out any underlying common reason for success/failure. Sometimes it works fine. Sometimes it will work after I re-boot Roon. Sometimes it will export the correct folder associated with the album, but will contain no files. Sometimes it exports nothing. So it’s a real head scratcher. If you have any clues, I’d be grateful. Thanks. – David

Hi @David_Zigas ---- Thank you for the input and feedback, both are very appreciated. I would like to gather some more information from you, so we may accurately asses the issue you are experiencing while exporting.

To aide in our evaluation, I need to jog your memory a bit. I know you have mentioned that there seem to be no underlying causes for this behavior but ANY bit of information you can provide to us would be a huge help.

What we are looking for, are any patterns in behavior. When you had a successful export, what was happening? When you had a failure during export, what was happening? Try to think about any other process that may or may not have been active at the time of both the successful and unsuccessful exports. Other applications running, updates, file transfers, things of that nature. Thanks!

-Eric

Hi Eric – Thanks so much for the info. It’s been a long day, and I’m just recovering from a surgical procedure, so forgive me if I’m not expansive in my response. As one thought (though I can’t imagine why it would matter), I do all my “housekeeping” type work on the audio computer – a Windows 10 box – via my other Windows 10 computer in my den, using the microsoft “remote desktop” function. It’s a lot more comfortable that way.

There seems to be some file-dependent aspect to it. One album I tried to export, A Vision Shared, just would never work. Its folders arrived in the destination directory, but not the files.

Also, the first 4 or 5 albums I tried worked flawlessly. Then the problems cropped up. As far as I can tell, the computer environment was consistent throughout. I didn’t do this in multiple sit-downs, but over the course of an hour or so. I tried exporting to different drives and directories, but that didn’t have any discernible effect. As I noted in the post, re-booting Roon helped a couple of times. But not with A Vision Shared.

Over the next few days, I will try to do another batch, and report back. I hope this is helpful and appreciate your support. – David

Hi @David_Zigas ---- Thank you so much for your follow up given the circumstance. I hope you have a speedy recovery!

As mentioned, any information is always appreciated even to the tiniest detail. Your feedback will help us to evaluate the problem and ultimately aide in our reproduction of the issue in house. If you notice anything else or you happen to remember a step or anything you may have forget, please let me know :slight_smile:

Once again, thank you for the feedback!

-Eric

Eric – I take it you don’t experience any of the issues I’ve noted? – David

Hi @David_Zigas ---- My apologies for the slow response. While I may not have experienced this exact issue myself that does not mean that this problem is necessarily isolated to just this situation.

There could be a few reasons why roon is having issues with the album you’ve mentioned (A Vision Shared). My feeling is that the best way for us to evaluate this for you would be to simply test in house with that specific album. Are you able to provide this album to us via dropbox?

Also, you had mentioned to me in your follow up response:

“As one thought (though I can’t imagine why it would matter), I do all my “housekeeping” type work on the audio computer – a Windows 10 box – via my other Windows 10 computer in my den, using the microsoft “remote desktop” function. It’s a lot more comfortable that way.”

Have you considered downloading roon remote (downloads) for the windows 10 computer in the den? I’d be curious to see if you had better luck using the remote (which will communicate directly with the core) as opposed to connecting via the remote desktop function.

-Eric

Eric – thanks for the suggestions. I had always assumed that using MS Remote Desktop was exactly equivalent to sitting at the remote desktop punching its keys. But at this stage of my life, I’m not sure why I would have such blind faith in Microsoft ;<] Just a long-winded way of saying that I will do what you suggest.And I will see if I can dig out A Vision Shared (a great compilation, BTW, by the Smithsonian, of songs by Woody Guthrie and Leadbelly, covered by people like Bob Dylan, Springsteen, Pete Seeger, Bono, etc.) If it isn’t in a folder, I’m back to the core reason I use Export – there’s no handy way to grab the files. But I will look. Thanks. – David

@David_Zigas ----- No problem! Let me know how things turn out with the test and if you can find a copy of the album. Drop me a line if you have any questions or if anything else pops up :slight_smile: Thanks!

-Eric

Hi,

Having similar problems but more straightforward. The export function does transfer files and the tracker does show the countdown of files. However, at some point the message “error whilst exporting” appears and the process stops. There is no further explanation. Thing is, I never know if and how many albums are not exported and why. That’s happened 4 times now.

Does the Roon log not have anything?

Spent some time on it this afternoon. Managed to export 200 albums about 75Gb. Trick seemed to be do it in small batches of no more than about 35 files and reboot Roon between batches. Strangely, towards the end, it suddenly became more stable and my last batch was 250 files! Time and labour intensive but I must say the exports were impressive. Nothing lost as far as I could tell and looked the same as the original when I made it the library for a while.

Where might the log files be?

Probably shouldn’t be asking this here but the Android remote app says it requires the Roon Core on my note pad before it can be installed. BUT, but there is no Android version of the core that I can find. Am I missing something? Planning to play with the toush scrren to see if there would be any point in my new dedicated PC having a touch screen. Thanks

What OS are you using for running your Roon Core on? Windows, Mac OSX, or Linux?

If Windows, then you’ll find the logs in the Logs subdirectory in your Roon program directory,
e.g. C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Roon\Logs (or C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\RoonServer\Logs if you’re using Roon Server).

For Linux, log files can be found in /var/roon/RoonServer/Logs, /var/roon/RAATServer/Logs, and /var/roon/RoonBridge/Logs.

Not being a Mac user, I’m not sure what the location for log files is on OSX. Sorry.

Reg referred to the “tracker showing the countdown of files.” That is interesting because my screen shows no confirmation at all after the export starts. I have to look at the destination folder. Perhaps that is because the exported playlists have never been bigger than a couple of dozen files and it happens too quickly. I’m running Roon core on a Windows 10 machine.

During export, there is a pulsating circle on the top right hand corner of the screen. Click on that and it will reveal the tracker.

Thanks. Using Windows 10. Have stumbled upon them already via the “Support” function on the left hand panel

Thank Reg.