Extensions Repeatedly Killed by Roon on Linux

Roon Core Machine

I’m running Roon under Linux Mint 20.3 on an AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-Core Processor with 32GB of memory and a 1TB Nvme PCIe 4.0 M.2 Internal SSD that holds the OS and Roon and the local music

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Roon core is Ethernet connected to a TPLink TL-SG1016PE switch
End-points are connected by Ethernet

Connected Audio Devices

Linn DSM, Bluesound Powernode, several RoPieee devices, all Ethernet connected. But problem occurs even with no devices attached

Number of Tracks in Library

28,000 tracks

Description of Issue

Every 2-3 minutes, Roon kills all extensions active in Roon by resetting all connections on port 9300. All the extensions then reconnect automatically and the process repeats.
For my system, the problem affects rooExtend, RoPieee remote control and an extension of my own that displays cover art.
If I move the Roon core to Windows 10 running in a virtual machine under Linux on the same machine the problem does not occur - it only happens when running natively under Linux.
I have swapped out all Ethernet cables and the switch, running with just the Roon core and a rooExtend Pi connected and the problem remains.
A packet trace shows the core and the Pi chatting normally and then the Roon server sends FIN,ACK & RST,ACK to all connections on port 9300.
The extensions just see a socket hang up error and the only thing that looks relevant in the Roon server log are message “Info: [roonapi] [apiclient] disconnected”

This morning I did a Linux kernel upgrade to 5.4.0-100 from -99 (and -97 before that) and this problem has gone away!
Many reboots failed to clear the problem previously, so I’m pretty sure the fix is in that kernel update somewhere.
All’s well that ends well…

1 Like

You beat me to it :slight_smile:
I used to have a similar issue on a very similar system - connection resets were crashing my Roon Remote on an Android tablet. The issues were completely solved after I migrated to a dedicated machine running Roon ROCK. It’s been rock solid for me.

Well, I was wrong, it’s nothing to do with the kernel version.
It happens when I need the UI to control Roon and I run Roon under Wine on the same OS as the core server. As soon as Roon under Wine starts up, all the extensions get a hangup error and die. This then happens repeatedly every 2 or 3 minutes until I close the Roon UI running under Wine, whereupon the hangups stop again. This happens consistently.

I’ve noticed this too, but only when I’ve navigated to the extension screen.

Interesting to hear, thanks. For me I only have to start Roon up under Wine and the extensions immediately die, no matter what screen I have open in the UI.

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.