Extent supported Display list

Hi @spockfish

Will you consider extent to support other size and 3rd party display such like 3.5 inch?
Or give a how-to document to leverage your official 7 inch display support.

The reason is there is a 3.5 inch display can only use GPIO to get power and the vender also provide linux driver. Instead of 7 inch needs HDMI, power cord to works.

you may take a look here: http://www.lcdwiki.com/3.5inch_RPi_Display

The SPI buss is busy on my setup with controlling an ESS dac. That doesn’t mean that I can’t hang extra stuff off the SPI buss, but it might be problematic.

The supported screen uses the rPi display connector which also passes the touches via that connector. I would bet if there are other sizes of displays that leverage that connector they would be easier to get working.

Hi Sheldon

I am not familiar with “rPi display connector”. Would like to tell me how to change it when you have free time?

Take a look at this, the physical installation section shows the ribbon cable and power connection

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/hardware/display/

1 Like

Hi,

There is no support planned for other screens then the official Raspberry Pi touchscreen.

Thanks

Thanks for that link. I bought a 5” 800x480 TFT Raspberry Pi DSI Touchscreen (DFR0550 from DFROBOT) a while ago, but I wasn’t able to make the touchscreen work correctly. The display was OK, but I couldn’t put it in pause, …
Thanks to the URL you pasted, I started to fiddle with the display-settings in /boot/config.txt, and I discovered I simply had to put the entry “lcd_rotate” to “0” instead of “2”. Nothing else helped. But now, my 5” is doing a perfect job.
Of course, this is not supported by RoPieee, so no claims when after an update it is not working anymore!

Would you like tell me.

1. Its able to display RoPieee UI (album, composer, etc) ?
  2. How you make it works?

I am speaking a bit out of turn here because I don’t know all the details of Harry’s code, but it appears that the DFRobot touchscreen is behaving like the rPi official touchscreen. Touch data and video signals are going over the rPi video connector. So from a software standpoint the rPi really doesn’t know the difference. I’d suspect if that is the case, it will be supported as long as the rPi display is supported. I didn’t realize that other manufacturers were using that connector and not the HDMI.

Sheldon

As Sheldon explains, the 5”-screen DFR0550 from DFRobot is also using the same DSI Display Connector as the official rPi touchscreen. It is NOT connected via HDMI! Also the number of pixels is identical: 800x480.
So I was convinced that it would work with RoPieee without any necessary adaptation. But it turned out otherwise. The touchscreen is reacting inversed, compared to the official rPi 7” touchscreen. If you want to put the music on hold, you don’t have to push on the pause button, but you have to push somewhere in the middle of the top of the album.

To fix that inconvenience behavior, I found out that you have to change the setting “lcd_rotate” from “2” to “0” and reboot RoPieee. The setting is in the file /boot/config.txt . After rebooting RoPieee, also the touchscreen is reacting in a correct way.

So now the 5” screen is reacting exactly like the official 7” screen, but is just a lot smaller (121mm x 65mm) compared with the official 7” screen (193mm x 111mm).

Frank.

I just found out that it is much simpler. You don’t have to logon via SSH.
Just logon in RoPieee via your browser, go to the tab “Display” and change the “Orientation” from “Rotated” to “Default” and everything is fine.
Apparently the DFR0550 is automatically putting the screen in the correct orientation, but only the touchpad is inversed when the RoPieee Display Orientation is in “Rotated”. Nice to know.

Frank.

Got it, good to know that. Thanks you and Sheldon.