External Drive Killing Nucleus

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
Nucleus +

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Ethernet from Orbi router via TP Logic switch

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Chord TT2 via Sonore micro rendu

Description Of Issue

Hard drive internal to Nucleus is 2 Tb with 30% available. I added an external 4Tb drive formatted ex-fat via Nucleus USB port Ever since it can take many minutes to just see the drive, and I have to reboot the nucleus frequently.

I use Roon at work deauthorizing the Nucleus to do so. I must restart the server if I don’t want the Roon to continually index music that has not changed on the Nucleus. The work mac will settle down after I quit and restart Roon.

Hi @huang

How many tracks total do you have in your library?

If you disconnect the external drive do things return to normal or do you still see this issue occur?

91K tracks, 25.6K albums
Will evaluate removing the drive this evening

I rebooted the nucleus and things got faster. I do have to reboot more than I ever have. I don’t know if it’s 1.8 or the drive they both happened around the same time.

Hi @huang

After a reboot is the drive still being continually scanned?

When this occurs are you seeing only slowness or are there other symptoms as well?

I use Roon at work and at home, by de-authorizing the server I am not using. Before 1.7 I had to frequently reset the server (web interface page) when I started a session at home. A closure and re-open sufficed at work (Mac & external HD). When I added the external drive to the Nucleus at home system file management got ridiculously slow, like a minute to see any file on either the internal SS drive, or the external drive, and up to 1/2 hour to add an album. I also get an error when I try to move files between drives (separate issue I think).

A full power down reboot of the Nucleus sped up the file management aspect at home, but seemingly every other session to end the search for the Roon server I must power down the Nucleus. The search is not just slow I let it go for like a 1/2 hour, 45 minutes to see if the server could be found with no success. Power cycling results in an almost instant discovery of the server, and the continual scan does not occur.

I had to reboot the Nucleus + again last night. The speaker animation appeared after I searched for an artist and continued for more than 10 minutes. This after I had played a full album from another artist.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.