External Tags Recognized By Roon

Roon Core Machine

Late-2019 16" MacBook Pro, Model: MacBookPro16,1, 2.4 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 processor, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 memory, 8TB of storage, wirelessly connected to a NAS with 14TB of storage

Networking Gear & Setup Details

1.2 Gbps download speed thru Xfinity and a Synology NAS DS1621Xs+ with a switch and ethernet connection

Connected Audio Devices

I wirelessly connect from my computer to my network and play my music from my computer. I currently use my MacBook Pro’s audio device.

Number of Tracks in Library

My library is 166,000 songs and is roughly 4.3TB in size

Description of Issue

Hello Roon support,

I’m currently in the process of attempting to migrate my 165,000 song library from JRiver to Roon and am trying to use JRiver’s robust tagging capabilities to ease that transition. My question, that I’ve been unable to find an answer to, is what external tags are recognized by Roon? I know that ROONALBUMTAG and ROONTRACKTAG are recognized but can someone please tell me the specific external tags that Roon recognizes? Thanks in advance

Regards,
Audible

I haven’t imported a well-groomed external library so I may be missing something, but in Settings > Library > Import Settings you find a long list of ID3 tags where you can decide if you prefer the tag in the file or Roon’s own metadata. So I suppose these are all recognized.

And if you enable the “use genres from file tags” in the import settings, you can also configure genre mappings in Settings > Library.

In addition, Roon’s internal tagging system, i.e., putting Roon tag labels on albums or tracks, uses ROONALBUMTAG and ROONTRACKTAG as you know, and the album/track will receive a Roon tag with the content of these ID3 tags

I don’t know but doubt that there’s anything else that is not documented either in the import settings nor on that second link. It’s maybe a pity that there doesn’t seem to be a ROONARTISTTAG as that’s something I can imagine using in an external library, and probably some others.

Somewhere in the KB is a Tag Map, I’m not at my PC at the minute. I’ll post when I switch on.

I imported my 150k + library from JRiver and let Roon do it’s thing , you can fine tune later if you want but it’s a mass of work

Editing tags in JRiver are picked up by Roon on the fly, using JRiver. If an album is an issue , go to … Edit and set Prefer File rather than Prefer Roon

Read

And

Plus all the help links it may clarify

BTW I still keep my JRiver library current and the Master then sync with Roon after any metadata changes

Not sure where I go this but these are Roon Tags , if its a name for name match they should import.

One way is to create Custom Tags in JRiver and us Move/Copy to populate before you import , a slog BUT

ALBUM
ALBUMARTIST
ARRANGER
ARTIST
BARCODE
CATALOG
CATALOGNUMBER
COMPOSER
CONDUCTOR
COUNTRY
DATE
DISCNUMBER
ENGINEER
ENSEMBLE
GENRE
IMPORTDATE
INVOLVEDPEOPLE^
LABEL
LIVE
LYRICIST
LYRICS
MIXER
ORIGINALDATE
ORIGINALRELEASEDATE
PART
PERFORMANCEDATE
PERFORMER
PERSONNEL^
PRODUCER
RECORDINGENDDATE
RECORDINGLOCATION
RECORDINGSTARTDATE
RELEASECOUNTRY
REMIXER
ROONALBUMTAG
ROONRADIOBAN
ROONTRACKTAG
SECTION
SOLOIST
STYLE
TITLE
TRACK
UPC
VERSION
WORK
WORKID
WRITER

^ = resolves to same Roon data points. Form = INVOLVEDPEOPLE=name - credit_role OR PERSONNEL=name - credit_role where credit role is defined here:

Roon Knowledge Base - Roon Credit Roles 2

1 Like

Your list misses those:
COMPOSITION (equivalent to WORK)
MOVEMENT (equivalent to PART)

I have been using those tags for years.

OOPS - Sorry

Me too ,I am not sure where I got that List from , I suspect some one provided it , some while back. I can’t find it in the KB I wonder if @joel maybe ?

Thank you all so much for your replies!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.