External USB Drive Not Detected by NUC - Need Assistance (ref#83N4WD)

What’s happening?

· Something else

How can we help?

· None of the above

Other options

· Other

Describe the issue

I use a NUC as ROCK. I have all my music on an external USB drive connected the NUC.
The external USB drive is also visible in Windows as a network disk.

At least this has been the case for several years. Suddenly the external USB drive is not found by the NUC anymore.
And therefore not found in Windows network either. So now only my Quoboz/Tidal libary is vivible in my collection in ROON.

The external USB drive works perfectly when inserted in my Windows PC.

Anyone knows what could be the solution? How can the external usb drive be visible for the NUC again?

I have somewere in the back of my head a possible solution... a flag that needs to be set on the drive... due to different managing of file formats Linux/Windows... but cannot recall 100%...

Describe your network setup

I use a NUC as ROCK. I have all my music on an external USB drive connected the NUC.
The external USB drive is also visible in Windows as a network disk.

At least this has been the case for several years. Suddenly the external USB drive is not found by the NUC anymore.
And therefore not found in Windows network either. So now only my Quoboz/Tidal libary is vivible in my collection in ROON.

The external USB drive works perfectly when inserted in my Windows PC.

What could be the solution? How can the external usb drive be visible for the NUC again?

I have somewere in the back of my head a possible solution... a flag that needs to be set on the drive... due to different managing of file formats Linux/Windows... but cannot recall 100%...

Is the USB drive formatted with NTFS? If so, then it’s possible that it needs to be re-attached to the Windows PC and have chkdsk /f run on the drive, and then eject it safely (don’t just pull the USB cable or the power). More info here:

2 Likes

The other option is to try a different cable, the current one may have developed a fault, easy test.

Um… It’s probably not the cable.

Geoff,

The drive is NTFS and chkdsk /f was the solution!
Will convert to exFAT in the future…

Thanks for the quick response!

2 Likes

The easiest, not necessarily cheapest, way imho, is to get a new external drive format it to exFAT and then copy from one drive to another on a PC. Plus the new exFat format drive into the NUC and keep the older NTFS drive as an extra backup.

2 Likes

Instead, to do the job properly: reformat it as exFAT, and copy the files back to it - then keep it as an extra backup :joy: I’d steer clear of NTFS these days :+1:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.