External Terramaster USB drive not seen by ROCK on NUC

New ROCK install on NUC for my brother. Roon sees usb stick when attached but does not see a large volume Terramaster USB 3.0 RAID drive when attached. Drive volume is NTFS so I believe should work.

@support

Advice please. Thanks

Hi Awesome People of Roon … the problem reported by ncpl is related to my USB External Disk array which is connected via USB type C … I have read on other threads that USB C is not yet supported by ROCK … please confirm if this is true.

if so would use of any kind of usb C adaptor or converter hide usb C drivers from the nuc ?
or
if so is there a patch for rock for this ?

otherwise what advice can you give…
cheers
Veez

ROCK running on - NUC Intec Baby Canyon Nuc7I7Bnh - OS V1 build 158 - Roon Core V1.5 Build 354

As far as I know, ROCK doesn’t contain the necessary drivers. Refer to this thread:

Yup, the USB-C (Thunderbolt) port is currently not active on the Nucleus, so it won’t be in a ROCK installation either.

The cable used is a USB C at the store end and a regular USB at the NUC end. So, afaik it should work.

@danny
Any reason why it wouldn’t you can see ?

@ncpl
Have a read of this post, I assume the storage you have only has the usb c connector?
New install - USB drive problem

correct storage only has USB C out

especially as USB Type-C is backwards compatible with USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 protocols. (correct ?)

so with the C to A cable I am using why would ROCK even care what was at the other end ?

Thanks @ratbert. Yes…it is the same type that I use. The difference is that I run Win 10 as my NUC predates ROCK.
If USB C drivers are not imminent then perhaps Veez’s NUC will need to run Win10/roonserver instead.

ps…as per comment above with a USB A-C cable shouldn’t backwards compatibility suggest this still should work ?

@ncpl I guess USB C to USB A is more than just a physical adapter, drivers may be involved that ROCK/Linux haven’t sorted yet, I agree it would be good to get it resolved as USB C is where connectivity seems to be going.

So, if USB C drivers are the issue then perhaps Win10 is the only route at this time.

Just my educated guess on the driver issue, Windows 10 would seem to be the solution for now.

Agree. Thanks R

Thanks ALL - Windows installed Enjoying Roon ! Excellent !!

3.0 should work fine… it is 3.1 that does not work. @support should be able to request logs from the machine and see whats going on.

@support,
Albeit 20months later than the post above, I have just tried my own 3.0 USB RAID drive into a ROCK NUC install and it doesn’t show up. The drive in NTFS and works usually in my Win 64 server.

Do you want to have a look at this to see why it doesn’t show up? If so, let me know and I will plug the drive in again.

What make and model of drive? Does it require a Linux driver?

TerraMaster D4 which is USB 3.0. Volume is 4x6TB RAID 0 NTFS.

The ROCK notes on storage have always indicated this ‘should’ work.

I could re-write the volume as EXT which is the recommendation for new drives. However, if format of the drive is NOT the issue that will be a PITA to do for nothing.

I doubt if it’s the format too. I’m just wondering if it needs a driver for the raid translate or if that is all done by the firmware.

Surely the RAID is all handled inside the TerraMaster unit and whatever the resulting volume used is presented via the USB 3.0? You cannot expect a connected unit to need to know about the RAID

That said I’m no expert at all on this but intuitively I expect it to work.