Extremely slow scanning of music files

Dear Noris/Dylan,
Are the log files the ones you requested?

Hello @Pieter_Vroon ,

Thank you again for sending the logs over and for your patience here while we’ve had a chance to look into this further.

First, can you please confirm if you have Background and On-Demand Audio Analysis turned off under Roon Settings → Library?

Next, we are seeing some traces regarding your storage, are you attempting to scan any directories with special characters in their path?

Avoid using “special” characters in the names of files and folders. Using these characters may render the files inaccessible under some circumstances, particularly if files are transferred between different platforms, or viewed over a network share.

< (less than), > (greater than)
: (colon - sometimes works, but best avoided)
" (double quote)
/ (forward slash)
\ (backslash)
| (vertical bar or pipe)
? (question mark)
** (asterisk)
$ (dollar sign)
` (backtick)
~ (tilde)

Dear Noris,
Many thanks for checking the log files. Background and On-Demand Audio Analysis is turned off. I do not use special characters in folder and file names, except [, ], (, ), -, and ,. I have been using those for 5 years without any problems. I checked the skipped files in settings, none of these show the special characters you mention above. Do you want a screenshot?

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Intel Xeon E5-2620 (2x), 64Gb memory
Windows 10 Pro N - version 20H2 - build 19042.789
Roon 1.7 - build 710 (64bits)
Music folders are on 2 harddrives directly connected to the Roon core (no Nas or network in between)
Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Cabled LAN Ubiquity switch, netgate router

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Microrendu + several DACs

Description Of Issue

I posted screenshots here: Extremely slow scanning of music files - #8 by Pieter_Vroon

And log files here: Extremely slow scanning of music files - #10 by Pieter_Vroon

After the request for log files there was no reaction from Roon for 2 weeks, so I have posted the problem again. I would appreciate a reaction, do I need to reinstall the database from a backup, or is this also corrupt?
The problem:
Scanning of files very slow, blue wheel keeps spinning on Core PC. After reboot Roon scans folders and files upto 179300 with normal speed (30-60 seconds), then continues with ca 1-5 files/hour.
Rebooted the core computer 5 times, disabeld music folders one by one and connected these again. However, the blue spinning wheel is already visible for more than 3 days since last reboot.

Are the files organised into album folders, or is just one long list of files in one folder ?

4 posts were split to a new topic: Slow Scanning of files

I’ve merged your new topic to this one so all the history is together and also that creating a new topic doesn’t really help, however, tagging @support will notify the Roon team.

@support. What should I do? Do you want a screenshot of the skipped files?

Hi @Pieter_Vroon ,

Apologies for the delay! Our team’s queue is longer than typical at the moment, but we’re working to get back to everyone as quickly as we can.

There have been a few Roon updates since you have reported this issue so getting a fresh look at logs will be the best next step, can I kindly ask that you upload a new log set from the latest build of Roon?

Thank you!

1 Like

@support.
I thought I had fixed the problem by removing all files which were added after the problem occurred. I added them one by one to the library and checked them for non ASCII letters (although this has never been a problem in the last 4 years). The spinning wheel disappeared after the last file was added. However, when I rebooted the core computer two weeks later, the problem was there again. Repeated the procedure, but the problems reoccurs if the core computer is rebooted. I have zipped the log files:

I hope you have some suggestions. I have updated to the latest version of Roon.

@support. Any suggestions?

@support. Did anybody of Roon support had a chance to check the log files? Any suggestions?

Hey @Pieter_Vroon,

I’m sorry it’s taking us much longer than we’d like to reply. Your thread is still in our technical team’s queue - it was not overlooked.

Please, bear with us just a little longer. You should hear back from Noris as soon as possible :pray:

Hello @Pieter_Vroon ,

Thank you for your patience here while we’ve had a chance to look over the new log file set, Roon still appears to be displaying an error with the Unicode formatting on one of your storage locations.

We have escalated your case to our QA team and are awaiting further feedback, thank you in advance for your continued patience here!

1 Like

@support. Many thanks for looking into the spinning wheel problem, which still exists.

1 Like

Hi @Pieter_Vroon

Can you please do the following?

1. Close Roon if it is running
  2. Right click the Roon icon and select “properties” from the drop down menu.
  3. You will see a field titled “target”. Place ‘-storagetrace’ or whatever other flag has been requested at the end of the “target’ input field.
  4. Make sure the “start in” input field ends with “application folder” and nothing else.
  5. Start Roon by double-clicking on the shortcut.
  6. Let Roon run for ~5 minutes
  7. Close Roon
  8. Use the directions found here and send us over a set of logs using a shared Dropbox link (or any other file sharing service).
  9. After uploading the logs for Roon Support, remember to go back and remove the flag from your shortcut.

1 Like

@support.

I have followed the instructions and uploaded the log files here:
Roon logs

Thanks so much @Pieter_Vroon!

Dylan will take a look at get back to you as soon as possible :pray:

Hi @Pieter_Vroon

Just wanted to update you and let you know that our QA team is looking into the logs that you sent. I appreciate you doing that! We’ll be in touch once they’ve been able to analyze the report.

@support. Did your QA team have a look at the log files?