"Failed to get authorization to access your account" when attempting to use a Samba share

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

The Roon install is version 1.6, build 416 running on Ubuntu 18.04
The Samba server is XigmaNAS 12.0.0.4, build 6766 which is based on FreeBSD 12.0-RELEASE p6, and is running Samba 4.8.12

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Hardwired networking. There’s just a Ubiquiti Switch 16-POE 150W switch in between the two machines. The Ubuntu machine has an Intel 82579V chipset with onboard ethernet, and the XigmaNAS machine has a Broadcom NetXtreme BCM5723 chipset with onboard ethernet.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

N/A

Description Of Issue

I’m trying to set up a network share on my XigmaNAS host as a Roon database backup target, using Roon’s integrated SMB client. I can add the share just fine, and it lists the test file I’ve created in there, but I receive the message “Failed to get authorization to access your account” whenever I try to save the changes, even when I have permissions on the directory that Samba is targeting set to world readable/writable/executable.

I’m also able to create and modify files/directories in a different SMB client using the same user that I’ve given Roon, so I don’t think it’s a permissions issue.

I poked around some more and found this in the logs:

07/09 16:57:27 Debug: [broker/backups] failed to fix backup location: Result[Status=Unauthorized, ErrorText=Missing required permission to create directory: /mnt/RoonStorage_858eca345d19a18c1c61e62811c4cd426d28be0e/RoonBackups]

Does that mean that Roon is attempting to mount filesystems through the system instead of using an SMB library? If so, that makes it a lot harder to use Roon as a non-root user, which is less than ideal.

Yes, Roon uses SMB to mount. You need a root access for it to work.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.