Failed to initialize audio device with multichannel DSD files

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
Roon on my media PC.

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)
Yamaha CX-5200 preamp via HDMI.

Description Of Issue
Roon is sending multi channel audio via HDMI to my Yamaha which works on all my FLAC files but when DSD ones start to play I get the “failed to initialize audio device” error. All works well on 2ch DSD files but not multi channel. Suggestions?

Brandon,

Have you gone into the Advanced Settings on the Device Setup dialog and set Multichannel? I am playing Multichannel DSD files with my Yamaha Receiver. However they are converted to PCM because HDMI will not play native DSD files from a PC.

Here are my Advanced Setup selections for my Yamaha RX-A860.

Hello @Brandon_Briesath,

Lets start by troubleshooting the following settings:

1. What happens when you set "Max Sample Rate (PCM) to 96kHz? If that doesn’t work, what about 48kHz?

2. Set “Channel Layout” to 7.1? (Enable switch rear/surround if needed)

Most AVR’s on the market do not accept DSD over PCM (DoP) from their HDMI inputs. Additionally, it is not possible to transmit native DSD over HDMI from PC’s. Therefore, I would assume the audio is being transcoded to hi-res PCM before being sent to the device.

-John

Just got back from vacation! I’ll give these suggestions a try!

Thanks guys,

Thanks, setting max sample rate from 192 to 96 kHz solved the “failed to initialize audio device” for me.
This error occurred when setting the HDMI output on my core to exclusive mode, reducing max sample rate allows exclusive mode to work

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.