Failing to group Sonos Devices from S1 and S2

Roon Core Machine

RoonOnNAS Beta for Synology DS v7.x running from SSD in Synology DiskStation 420+, 4-core 2.9GHz Intel J4025 Celeron processor with 10Gb DDR4 RAM

Networking Gear & Setup Details

UniFi Gigabit Ethernet Switch and 2 x UniFi NanoHD APs
About half of my audio devices are cabled, with the other half using wifi

Connected Audio Devices

I run S2 for the majority of devices, and have a separate S1 system that runs my only incompatible S2 device. The old ZP100.

S2 Sonos System
Sonos One: Bedroom
Sonos OS: S2
Version: 13.3 (build 65121040)
Hardware Version: 1.26.1.7-2.2
Series ID: A201
IP Address: 192.168.2.147
WM: 0

Play:1: Bertie
Hardware Version: 1.8.3.7-2.0
Series ID: A101
IP Address: 192.168.2.123
OTP:

Play:5: Bungalow
Hardware Version: 1.13.1.7-2.2
Series ID: C100
IP Address: 192.168.2.156

Play:3: Kitchen
Hardware Version: 1.8.1.2-2.0
Series ID: A100
IP Address: 192.168.2.145
OTP:

Connect: Lounge HiFi
Hardware Version: 1.22.1.5-2.1
Series ID: D100
IP Address: 192.168.2.146

Port: Office
Hardware Version: 1.29.1.7-2.2
Series ID: A100
IP Address: 192.168.2.138

S1 Sonos System
ZP100: ZP100
Sonos OS: S1
Version: 11.2.12 (build 57821220)
Hardware Version: 1.1.3.2-2.0
IP Address: 192.168.2.144
WM: 1

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

• All 7 Sonos devices (6 x S2, 1 x S1) devices can be streamed to successfully, using any supported protocol (some have Airplay, others only support Sonos Streaming)
  • All 6 Sonos S2 devices can be grouped together successfully
  • All 3 Sonos S2 devices with Airplay can be grouped successfully
  • When trying to add S1 device to any Sonos Streaming group, playback fails, and I get “Roon lost control of the audio device” error message, and no playback.
  • Sometimes, the grouping appears to be successful (e.g. the S1 device is added to the group) but when I try to play, I get the same error message, and there is no playback to any device in the group.

I spent a couple hours digging around and haven’t found a straight answer to this. Some people report perfect grouping with S1 and S2 devices. I’ve tried factory resetting the ZP100 and creating a new S1 System. Same result.

I won’t be too disappointed if this isn’t fixable. Appreciate the ZP100 is a 15 year old network device. But if there’s a way to get it to work, I’ll be delighted, as it will save me retiring and replacing the amp for some outdoor speakers.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

Hi @Jonny_Schneider and welcome to the Roon Community.

As far as I know, S1 and S2 devices can basically not be grouped. Neither with the Sonos app nor with Roon.
I’m not aware of any way to make this possible so far.

I also had to ban my older Sonos:Connect from my infrastructure.

Edit:
@ncpl @andybob
The Sonos KB page should be updated, also, regarding the playable bitrate.

Btw: Is there any way to tag KB editors in general?

2 Likes

Hi Jonny and welcome to the community.
Like Florib said you can’t mix Sonos S1 and S2 streams, but you can still play to each device individually.

There are ungrouping issues with Sonos in Roon ad well and it can be a bit of a pain when you have ungrouped a couple of devices only to still find them playing later. This has been reported to Roon multiple times but with no fix in sight.

I have got rid of my S1 devices now to the office and friends so I cannot comment on how they work, but mine were from 2006 so they had had their time. I did though test out feeding them via Raspberry Pi devices using various methods of input and that worked perfectly well using Hifiberry hat’s, though you lose volume control within Roon (though that would still stop you grouping them using Roon with the S2 devices)

1 Like

@Michael_Harris I was already waiting for an answer from you. :wink:

This is the reason why I only use the Sonos grouping. Either through the hardware buttons or via Home Assistant.

1 Like

Ha ha
I just came back to add that especially for S1 to use Sonos grouping. I found it more reliable as well back in the S2 day’s and less likely to skip and stutter.

For S2 I tend to group in Roon and ungroup in Roon and then do it when I remember in Sonos app. Though I have been away since latest Roon build dropped and I am forever hopeful that they will fix it :grin:

1 Like

As it turns out, I also tested with a Rasperry Pi wiht a DAC hat with stereo out (RCA). That configuration does work, but it requires the S1 Sonos device to be continuously playing the line-in source. That’ll work but inevitably the stream will stop at some point (e.g. reboot; network reset; power surge), meaning you’d have to have a S1 controller lying around to play it again. Honestly, I’d rather give up grouping for that zone and stream direct from Roon to the ZP100 instead of futzing around with an extra end point and an extra controller. Ideally, I want to eliminate Sonos controllers entirely and just use Roon.

I have seen a few ungrouping issues that you mention, but generally a minor inconvenience.

At the end of the day, I will probably retire the ZP100 anyway. I can see it’s going to be a fairly messy upgrade path. I can do Raspberry Pi with Ropieee XL to get RAAT and Airplay sharing, but there’s 3 Sonos devices that don’t support AirPlay, which limits how zones could be grouped… Ah well, that’s the nature of caring about hifi, right? Always upgrading!

1 Like

Hi @florib
The KB has been folded into the Roon Help section and the KB Editor ranks are but the faded laurels of yesterday :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Let’s flag @kevin and he will check out the possible amendment. Thanks for contributing !

1 Like

Jonny You can set the option to auto switch on input which is what I have set in the office where the old ZP100 drives 4 speakers either end of the long office. That works well

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.