Fails to play any music then can't find playback devices

Just started a free trial to see if it’s worth the ongoing fees. Roon successfully finds all playback devices on the first run but fails to play any of my music. Rebooted. Now Roon can’t find any of my playback devices: motherboard audio, usb connected headphones, usb connected pioneer dj turntables with connected headphones.

64 bit windows 10. would upload a dxdiag file to help the support team diagnose issue if there was a way to attach files to this?

the uploaded screen shot shows what appears for 2-3 seconds when I click on the “No Audio Devices Found. Manage Audio Devices” button at the bottom of screen. The list of devices disappears after 2-3 seconds and then blank. All devices are connected. I can listen to music through all devices using other programs.

Hello @Ad_Q,

Thanks for contacting us regarding this issue. Can I please ask if you have any firewalls in place that could be blocking Roon? I would suggest that you take a look at these instructions to make sure that Roon is listed as an exception. If you have any antivirus software, it would be good to verify if the same issue occurs with it temporarily disabled, as then we would know to take a closer look at that firewall. I would also try rebooting your Core machine afterwards. Please let me know if that helps.

Thanks,
Noris

Hi Noris,

Thanks for your reply. Roon.exe was (and still is) listed as an exception for public and private in the windows firewall. I only have Windows built in firewall and antivirus.

Cheers,
Adam

Hello @Ad_Q,

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you due to the holiday season. Have you made sure that RAATServer is also listed as an exception? RAATServer should be listed as an exception there as well for local endpoints to work. I would also reboot your Core if you have not done so yet, please let me know if that helps.

Thanks,
Noris

Hello @Ad_Q,

Eric told me that you are still experiencing some difficulties here, can I please ask you to provide the full topology of your network? Please be sure to include the model/manufacturer of your Router, any switches, range extenders, powerline adapters, ect.

I would also double check to make sure that both Roon and RAATServer are listed as exceptions to any firewalls or Antivirus software you may have (Bullguard, Little Snitch, McAFee, ect). Please let me know if that helps.

Thanks,
Noris

Hi Norris.

It’s very simple. I have Room installed on my Windows 10 PC and I’m wanting to play music on the speakers connected to the motherboard, a pair of USB connected headphones and a seperate pair of headphones via a Pioneer DDJ-SX2 DJ deck connected to the PC via USB. I Have music stored on WD EX-4100 NAS and music stored on a local drive on the PC. The router connecting the NAS to the PC is Netgear DGND3700v2.

I only use the firewall and antivirus that comes with windows 10 pro. Everything is listed as an exception in Windows firewall.

Regards,

Adam

Did you list the programs or open a range of ports in the firewall?

Thanks for letting me know that info @Ad_Q,

I would suggest double checking the firewall to make sure that the program Roon is listed as an exception and not just specific ports.

We can also try to see if generating a fresh RAATServer on your Core helps. To do so follow these instructions, but please be aware that this will reset your Roon Settings -> Audio Tab to factory settings and I would advise making a backup of any custom DSP settings you have first:

• Exit out of Roon
  • Navigate to your Roon’s Database Location: https://kb.roonlabs.com/Database_Location
  • Find the folder that says “RAATServer”
  • Rename the “RAATServer” folder to “RAATServer_old”
  • Restart the Roon App to generate a new RAATServer folder

Please let me know if that helps.

Thanks,
Noris

Just have a go at temporarily disabling the windows firewall and see if the devices appeared. My W10 system has just started doing the same thing, connections appeared once disabled.
Also have a look at your W10 ethernet network connection and see if it has been shifted under Public Network.

Hello @Ad_Q,

Eric got in touch with me regarding your response via email with the screenshot.
Can you please give part #2 of my instructions a try and let me know if that helps?

Thanks,
Noris

1 Like

Hi Norris,

Part 2 of your suggestions didn’t work either. The same symptoms appeared: it partially worked on the first opening of the program where it found some but not all devices. It played briefly only on the “system output” and the USB connected headphones. It didn’t play through the USB connected Pioneer DJ decks. On the second opening of the program, no devices were found.

Cheers

Hello @Ad_Q,

Thanks for confirming that for me. Typically when you see “Enabling…” messages in Roon like yours it points to some kind of firewall somewhere blocking Roon or RAATServer. Do you by any chance have a firewall on your router that could be blocking Roon? Also, are you still seeing the initialization messages after performing the RAATServer refresh or has there been a change since doing the refresh?

Thanks,
Noris

No firewall on the router blocking Roon. Even if there was, why would that impact finding devices connected to the PC Roon is running on and playing music stored on the PC? Can Roon not play locally stored music on locally connected devices if it’s disconnected from the internet?

Yes, still seeing initialisation message are deleting the old RAATServer folder.

Hello @Ad_Q,

I have gone ahead and enabled diagnostics mode for your account and what this action will do is next time your Core is active, a set of logs will automatically be generated and uploaded to our servers for analysis. I will be sure to let you know once we have revived diagnostics, please leave your Roon Core running and connected to the internet so that we can receive this package.

We have also just updated Roon to version 1.6 so I would be curious to see if the same issue occurs on the new build.

Thanks,
Noris

Hi Norris,

I just opened Core and left it running for 10mins. Please confirm you received what you needed.

Regards,
Adam

Hi @Ad_Q,

I can confirm that diagnostics have been received. You may want to try updating to Roon 1.6 when you have a chance to see if that helps. Will let you know what the team says regarding those logs.

Thanks,
Noris

Hello @Ad_Q,

Has there been any change with the update to Roon version 1.6? Also, can you please provide some more information regarding the Core? It seems like it is a custom PC and we have previously had some issue with ASUS On-board sound drivers, so it would be good to confirm this info.

QA has suggested the following test:

• Detach all USB Headphones and DJ desk
  • Reboot the machine
  • Make sure built-in sound card is set as a default output device
  • Attach regular headphones through 3.5 jack
  • Try to playback media through Roon and see if that works

Please let me know if you are able to verify the behavior with these instructions.

Thanks,
Noris

Hi Noris,

The upgrade to 1.6 didn’t change the result unfortunately.

It is a custom built PC with an ASUS x299 Strix E-Gaming motherboard.

The QA suggested steps also didn’t change the result.

Cheers,
Adam

Hello @Ad_Q,

Thanks for confirming the motherboard model and performing the test.
I have submitted your findings to QA but since it may take a bit to hear back from them, I’d like to propose another thing to check.

Can you please try upgrading your ASUS audio drivers from the manufacturer site to see if this helps?

I am not sure if the Utilities listed on that page would help but may be worth a try as well.

Thanks,
Noris

Hi Eric, Noris,

After 6 weeks, there has been no fix.

It’s more disappointing I’ve just been automatically charged a membership fee for something that doesn’t work. It’s surprising someone in your team wasn’t monitoring the situation to prevent this poor customer experience from happening given the issues I’ve come across already.

Please refund this payment immediately and stop my entire subscription. Please confirm both of these are done by Monday 18th. My original email to contact@roonlabs.com requesting this was 14th Feb.

I’m no longer interested in waiting for a fix.

Regards,

Adam