Failure to rip CDs

Roon Core Machine

Roon Nucleus with no additional internal storage and latest software. Purchased a few weeks ago.

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Third Floor: The Roon Nucleus is connected by CAT6 Ethernet cable to a Luxul 12-port/8 PoE+ Gigabit Managed Switch model AMS-1208P. I have a M1 Mac Mini (2020, 8 GB, OS Monterey version 12.2.1) connected by ethernet to the switch.

Ground Floor: The managed switch is connected by CAT6 Ethernet cable to a Luxul 26-port/24 PoE+ Gigabit Managed Switch model AMS-2624P. This switch is plugged by CAT6 cable to a Xfinity xFI Gateway Router model name CGM4331COM by vendor Technicolor.

Connected Audio Devices

The 2 USB ports on the back of the Nucleus are used by my Amicool USB External DVD Drive (Amazon) and a Seagate 5 TB external desktop HDD model SRD0NF2.

The Roon remotes for DACs, Amps and Sonos speakers are an iPhone 13 Max and a 2019 12.9 inch iPad.

Number of Tracks in Library

5000+ tracks

Description of Issue

Problem 1. I’m having trouble ripping CDs. Please send me some advice.

I was successful ripping music files from a purchased CD on an Apple USB SuperDrive player plugged into the back of my Roon Nucleus. This USB CD/DVD player was the first I tried.

The CD’s contents were stored on the external HDD plugged into a USB port on the back of the Nucleus. After the successfully ripped CD was ejected and another CD was placed in the player, the Roon software didn’t recognize second CD. I rebooted the Nucleus without success.

I then replaced the Apple SuperDrive with the Amicool USB External Drive because this drive is Linux compatible. After rebooting the Nucleus a second time, the new CD’s music was ripped and stored. The cycle of failure to recognize a new CD then repeated itself.

Problem 2. The Mac mini consistently runs the Roon software moderately slowly and intermittently skips songs. The Roon software on the Mac no longer crashes after I installed the Roon Nucleus for use as the Roon Core. The M1 Mac Mini was my original Roon Core Machine before purchasing the Nucleus a few weeks ago.

What do you recommend?

Hello Craig, welcome to the community…

There is a known issue with the CD ripping function. Appears to be a glitch in the OS, not the music server software. Hopefully the next upgrade to the OS will resolve the issue.

I’ve had to disconnect the the USB drive, power cycle the NUC/Nucleus, then reconnect the USB drive to get it working again. But then the issue returns and the sequence has to be repeated.

I’d suggest using another ripping software on a desktop or laptop on then drag and drop the new music files to the Nucleus over the network. I use DBpoweramp.

The skipping would be a different issue, possibly something in the network. Someone else in the community or support could chime in and help with that.

Thanks so much @Mike_LC. I’ll try your suggestions. Do I need to do something special to get the attention of Tech Support?

Thanks,
Craig

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.