Fatal error when launching Roon after Windows feature update

Core I7, Windows 10 1909
Latest Roon Server 1.7

Recently updated to Roon 1.7 as part of the recent update, then subsequently did a Windows feature update to version 1909. When launching Roon I get the splash screen then the follow fatal error pops up in a dialog:

“Object reference is not set to an instance of the object”

The log shows the following error:

11/24 13:57:47 Error: Couldn’t load WGL extension functions: System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.
Parameter name: ptr
at System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.GetDelegateForFunctionPointer(IntPtr ptr, Type t)
at Broo.Engine.OpenGL.Wgl.LoadWglExtensions()
11/24 13:57:47 Warn: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at Broo.Engine.OpenGL.Wgl.wglGetExtensionsStringARB(IntPtr hdc)
at Broo.Engine.GlWindow.InitializeContexts()
at Broo.Engine.GlWindow…ctor(OpenGlWindow glwin)
at Broo.Engine.OpenGlWindow…ctor()
at Broo.Engine.DeviceTarget…ctor(Window& window)
at Broo.BrooLoader.Load(Boolean rendertrace, String brooxfile, String bindingsdllfile, String atlasname, Engine& engine, Window& window, LoadContext& loadcontext, String& err)
at Sooloos.Application.Main(String[] argv)

Roon appears to be running in the background.

Any ideas why I am getting this?

Thanks

Loos like a graphics card (OpenGL) issue. Could you check what graphics card the computer has? It should support OpenGL 3.0 as a minimum If I’m not mistaken.

It’s the on-board Intel HD Graphics 4600. I’ve never had any issues launching or displaying Roon in the past few years I’ve had it, and a quick check online shows the graphics card supports OpenGL 4.0, so should be fine with 3.0.

I have the latest drivers installed for this too.

Ok I figured it out, could put this one down to user error but might be useful for anyone else who runs into this.

So I was connecting to my Windows Desktop via Remote desktop from a Macbook Pro, usually when I do this the Windows box has already started up and launched Roon, but because I was launching Roon whilst remoting in, it uses the Remote desktop display drivers which must not support OpenGL the same way the actual drivers do. Sitting at my Windows desktop and launching Roon worked as it should.

Thanks for the reply on this but it’s all sorted now.

Hi @MikeMUK — I’m glad that things are working for you now! Please feel free to reach out if you ever have any other questions or issues. Happy listening :headphones:

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.