Favourite icons unselectable, multi-user help and other suggestions from my Roon travels [Resolved]

Hi guys, @support firstly - thank you so much for creating Roon! This is by far the best user interface for enjoying music I’ve ever come across!!! I absolutely love this software for introducing me to some incredible music I never knew I had!

A couple of issues I’ve noticed while playing around since buying the software a couple of months ago:

1. I’m surprised this hasn’t been reported before but on the IPad Air 2, (and I’m guessing other devices of a similar screen size), the “favourite” heart icon is almost totally unselectable within a track listing (single album view is specifically bad). My guess is the detection has been set to the heart icon itself, maybe even smaller, rather than a wider catch-all touch zone around around the border. It appears there is a tiny couple of pixel sweet spot to get a touch to correctly recognize. I frequently have to press the icon as many as 10 to 15 times to get it to accept I want to like/dislike the song, rather than play it. I don’t have the smallest most delicate fingers in the world, but my girlfriend quite possibly might, and she can’t reliably get the action to work either. Interestingly we almost never have this issue with either the lyrics, credits or triple dot icons, just the favourite icon.

2. I know this has been reported in other posts but I’m still not totally sure how this works/is supposed to work. My girlfriend is Mexican so all her music is in Spanish. Forgiving my appalling efforts to master another language I have no interest in her music whatsoever. Merely disliking all her albums in my profile still covers my Albums view with them. I’ve applied Tags to all these albums to hide them then set a bookmark for this focus, but it seems a clumsy way to do it, it isn’t remembered when changing profiles between my girlfriend and I, isn’t remembered when changing between Artists and Albums etc, and I’m always left with “- Spanish” at the top of the screen. I feel a given profile should be able to select the albums they have no interest in and these be totally hidden from a particular profiles view by default.

3. Related to the above, minor inconvenience but there is no way to dislike/block multiple albums at once. Only favourite multiple albums at once.

4. This is also reported elsewhere: When playing in radio mode, the Now Playing screen is very empty and nowhere near the standard of the rest of the Roon interface. Even Tidal’s spinning disk looks fantastic in comparison. Rather than “Queue Empty” in radio mode the space could display, album booklet images, dancing spectrum analysers (I really miss these for party display on a tv), more upcoming tracks in radio mode above and beyond just the next track, larger cover art, album lyrics without needing to select the popup or even other recommended Tidal albums not in your library related to the currently playing song. (Better still, tabs to all of the above :))

5. Finally as a massive generalization, while I love how roon helps me discover my own music, I wish Roon was able to better help me discover new music on Tidal I would like (not Jay-Zs latest vested interest), that’s not already added to my library.

Thanks so much everyone!! Now - back to more music while I patiently wait for 1.3 :slight_smile:

Forgot to add, this is all on the latest version of Roon (1.2). Core machine running on Win10 Pro, controlled by IPad with latest roon remote version.

I’ll be surprised if it’s not on the list - but I notice that a lot but don’t think I ever flagged it.

A big +1 on a discovery function with Tidal. I’m still using Deezer for this because it does a much better job in this department then Roon and Tidal. It has been asked by other people if Tidal could be part of the “Radio” function, but it has to do it in an intelligent way or else it is useless. I think a solution for this has to come from Tidal, not from Roon. Thats why Deezer support in Roon would be very nice. Offcoarse it is possible to go into Tidal via lots of ways manually within Roon but Deezer has got a pretty good learning function and it plays recommendation in the Radio function automatically.

Hi @MichaelN ----- Thank you for the report and the kind words. Glad to hear you’ve been enjoying the Roon experience!

You mentioned in your report…

"1) I’m surprised this hasn’t been reported before but on the IPad Air 2, (and I’m guessing other devices of a similar screen size), the “favourite” heart icon is almost totally unselectable within a track listing (single album view is specifically bad). My guess is the detection has been set to the heart icon itself, maybe even smaller, rather than a wider catch-all touch zone around around the border. It appears there is a tiny couple of pixel sweet spot to get a touch to correctly recognize. I frequently have to press the icon as many as 10 to 15 times to get it to accept I want to like/dislike the song, rather than play it. I don’t have the smallest most delicate fingers in the world, but my girlfriend quite possibly might, and she can’t reliably get the action to work either. Interestingly we almost never have this issue with either the lyrics, credits or triple dot icons, just the favorite "

I can confirm that I just tried this on my iPad and it seems better in 1.3, as the hit area is bigger and more responsive. Give this a shot on 1.3 when it goes live and let us know how it goes. If you are still noticing an issue we will gladly take a closer look :sunglasses:

Generally, any suggestions for areas of improvement in Roon are handled in the Feature request section on community. This is the best way to have your voice heard and to exchange ideas with other community members.

With this in mind, I would recommend taking a look at that section of the forum and seeing if any of the proposed (#2 - #5) has already been suggested by others. If so I would encourage you to please add your feedback :microscope:

-Eric

Thanks a lot guys! Favorite’s button works perfectly now!

Loving 1.3!

Have an awesome weekend!

2 Likes