Feature request: Linn DS support in Roon [done in 1.5]

Thanks, Danny. Your posts were very helpful, and I’ve responded with some more fully thought-out comments there (not that anyone is dying to hear my thoughts).

2 Likes

You do yourself down I am interested in your comments :blush:

1 Like

Thanks Danny for your posts at Linn.

Nothing personal here – it’s just that the narrative was getting blurred. Happy @danny is sharing some wisdom.

I can fully empathise with the frustration of wanting to use your A-class Linn with Roon and ending up in what looks like a stalemate. I truly hope this situation will be resolved one way or the other for you guys in the near future.

1 Like

Whilst I can empathize with Linn customers wanting better Roon integration I fully support Roon’s decision not to implement SongCast. Many of the key players in high-end audio manufacture have elected to implement RAAT within their ecosystem, presumably for good reason. There’s nothing special about Linn that makes it immune to market forces and if Roon ceased to exist it would be a simple matter for Linn to remove RAAT from its firmware and support only SongCast. If they choose not to implement RAAT they do so in full knowledge that they’re disappointing at least some proportion of their customers, and they’re therefore ok with that.

2 Likes

Excellent answers, @danny. Thanks for that.

I hope Linn see the light one day…

Just a quick note for those interested in this subject: Linn has confirmed (in the thread on their forum to which Danny links above) that Roon and Linn have opened discussions regarding possible support for RAAT in Linn devices. Nothing definitive yet, but this is a big step forward from the previous stalemate. Let’s hope the discussion moves smoothly and quickly!

2 Likes

Hi All,

I tried to get Roon to work with Klimax DS via Lms_to_UPnP.

With the help of community member @volpone i gave it a shot.

The application could be i this tread
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?103728-Announce-UPnPBridge-integrate-UPnP-DLNA-players-with-LMS-(squeeze2upnp)&p=865044&viewfull=1#post8650442

Basically it enables your UPnP devices to been seen as a squeeze box

Basically on the left side you see the Linn DS broadcasted.

However i do get the original thought behind the application working meaning i get the Linn DS playing via LMS (Logitech Media Server) as a sqeezebox. However no success in Roon.

After spending serval hours i can say it will not work.

For those who want to give it a shot. Download the app

1. For the first run (to create the config file):
    squeeze2upnp -i config.xml will autodetect your LINN device on the network and will create a default config.xml in the same directory (it runs for 30-45 sec then auto exit)

For a mac this will typically look like this (no need to use the SUDO command if your logged in as admin)
/Users/Lazybird/Downloads/UPnPBridge-0.2.10.0/Bin/squeeze2upnp-osx-multi i config.xml

This will create the config.xml file
(On windows this will be dropt in the directory)
(for mac this will be dropt on the desktop directory ought enough)

1. You have to edit this config file to set default_on to 1

2. Run the program: squeeze2upnp -I config.xml (I and not i)
    This will look like something like this
    /Users/Lazybird/Downloads/UPnPBridge-0.2.10.0/Bin/squeeze2upnp-osx-multi -I config.xml ; exit; (example)

Maybe someone will be able to get it work :slight_smile:

Hi Michael,
Do you tried to play from Roon using the last dev-1 version from philippe ?

See philippe’s post : http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?103728-Announce-UPnPBridge-integrate-UPnP-DLNA-players-with-LMS-(squeeze2upnp)&p=865173&viewfull=1#post865173

However i don’t think squeze2upnp is OpenHome compliant but at least, if your succeed to play from LMS you can expect to get the same results from Roon.

See also this post: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?104731-LINN-Klimax-Renew-with-UPNPBridge

From Roon to a raw UPnP renderer that’s working for me on WIN10.

hi Bruno, i worked with the last aviable version :frowning:

No succes :frowning:

OK, did you asked to philippe_44 for support ?
If it works with LMS it think it might works with Roon, at least for basic audio play function.

I finally gave up on Linn and sold my Klimax DS. Back to full time Roon I do not look back.
Expensive ride to end up where I am via Linn’s constant upgrade rollercoaster.

1 Like

brave move what did you buy to replace it ?

I actually went for a Schiit Yggdrasil DAC would you believe it. Bought it unheard of. :grin:
I like Mike Moffats ideas and how he’s acting today a bit like Linn did back in the days of CD12.
Less marketing, more putting efforts where they’re needed.

I feed it from a PCIe card via AES-EBU to keep away from USB.

Life is good. It feels like the end of the road for me.
I can focus on ‘gardening’ my collection in ROON and spending money on music.

6 Likes

[quote=“Changeling, post:114, topic:1903”]
went for a Schiit Yggdrasil DAC would you believe it
[/quote]yip, also bought it unheard. Great DAC. No regrets. Done buying kit.

This might be of interest to Linn owners:

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/sonoreupnp-bridge-beta

1 Like

Hey guys - I am a newbie to digital hifi, but absolutely loving it. I was using Roon with Aries, but recently upgraded to a Linn Akurate DS. So sad to see Roon isn’t useable with it! I’m still in a trial for Roon and will gladly purchase a lifetime membership once Linn is fully supported.
Happy listening everyone!

Be sure and let Linn know you want that too. It mostly requires Linn’s participation.

There are to possible solutions

1. Linn is investigating Roon at their side
  2. Sonicorbiter - SonoreUPnP Bridge (beta)

The latter one is releasing a new beta at monday fingers crossed i recieved a email from @Jesus_Rodriguez today, excellent support. Once it works ill buy it straight away :slight_smile:

Definitely will do - I told customer support via email, but will reiterate on their forums as well.
Best wishes.