Feature request: Linn DS support in Roon [done in 1.5]

you could drop a note here

http://forums.linn.co.uk/bb/showthread.php?tid=34588&pid=415423#pid415423

I think that a UPnP bridge will only ever be a ‘kludge’ solution. I’ve been tinkering with LMS-to-UPnP and while I can get it streaming (all the way up to 24-192) it is just too temperamental to rely on.

Track transitions (skipping forward etc) don’t work, if the sample rate changes mid playlist it stops as well.

I have to assume that support in the Sonore kit is based on the same code as LMS-to-UPnP and without a Linn to test it on (I’ve been reading the Sonore forums as well and the guy at Sonore has stated he doesn’t have one) it’s going to be a hard task to get it working smoothly.

Native support is the way forward, so keeping the pressure on Linn is the only way to do this.

2 Likes

Nail on the head.

+1
Without some test and debug with real LINN devices and some adjustments from the bridge developper(s) afraid it is “too temperamental” to rely on day to day.

Philippe_44 the original UpnP bridge “father” doesn’t use Roon and LINN devices.
LMS / SONOS seems OK (with some limits) but we will see if SONORE succeed to fix bridge with LINN OH devices.

Native support with RAAT is the way forward. I agree.

You know what they say about assumptions;)

As a professional software developer, I’m very familiar with that saying!

If you’re implementing it from scratch you are either brave or crazy, and have my full respect whichever is the case :smile:

Update:

The Linn update is available on the sonicTransporter series and should be released on the microRendu and Sonicorbiter SE later today.

Apperently 24/192kHz seems to work with a few glitches. Which is excellent news :wink:

Looks great Jesus…

@danny, I don’t mean to beat a dead horse, but the announcement that Sonos support is coming has got me wondering if the work done for Sonos could be leveraged to enable Linn/OpenHome support. The question is prompted by my understanding that Sonos’s protocol is UPnP-based, as is OpenHome. I have no idea if the protocols are close enough to make this practical, and of course recognize that the universe of OpenHome users is much smaller than Sonos users, but after a few more months of playing with work-arounds, I remain hopeful that some sort of more elegant Roon/Linn integration is on the way.

If (as I suspect, to be honest), Sonos support does not presage integrated support for other UPnP-based protocols such as OpenHome, has any progress been made in discussions with Linn regarding RAAT support from Linn’s side? Obviously nothing confidential can be disclosed here, but even a general sense that some progress is being made would be welcome!

I’ll take that as a “no,” then…

@Jesus_Rodriguez SonicOrbitor works flawless with my Linn Klimax DS/1 iam very happy man, thanks for the solution. I have a big grin on my face this is EPIC :clap::clap:

Be sure and rub it in over at the Linn forum:)

1 Like

Looks like it I have to eat my words, you got it working! Very good job!

If I only wanted to use the UPnP bridge, is there any functional difference between the Microrendu and the SonicOrbiter SE? I like to support cool projects like this, but the £660 price tag of the Microrendu puts it out of impulse buy territory. The SonicOrbiter SE is under half that price in the UK. That’s still a conversation with my wife, but one I may have a chance of winning :wink:

Some progress on native Roon support over on the Linn forums :slight_smile: :

http://forums.linn.co.uk/bb/showthread.php?tid=34588&pid=425564#pid425564

We’re still talking to Roon. The first approach to integration we attempted didn’t work out. We’re working through another couple of options which look more promising. All being well, I’d hope to have an approach agreed and implementation underway very soon now.

2 Likes

Indeed great news

Great news! Im looking after new sound system, and Linn are on top of that list. If their DS/DSM support Roon, that would be a game changer for me:)

Just have a look at Sonore Products.
I think there is already a possibility to combine Linn and Roon without loss of Sound Quality at a rather low price.

1 Like

have installed this device: https://www.smallgreencomputer.com/products/sonoreupnp-bridge

at the bottom line appr. 200 € (incl. shipment)

works very well :relaxed:

you need one dedicated UPnP-bridge per renderer, therefore I am using this UPnP-bridge for my main system and are waiting for native RAAT support by LINN to connect my second system (LINN Kiko) to my ROON library

Hi @Jesus_Rodriguez,

the problem with jumping from one track to the next track in the playlist without playing any music is back; did already check all settings, restartet ROON core, restarted ROON remote, restartet sonore UPnP bridge, rebooted the entire NAS …

my config:

Library: QNAP NAS

Streamer: LINN Klimax DSM/1

Please help - thanx in advance!

Best regards
Frank