Feature request: Linn DS support in Roon [done in 1.5]

Is there any progress that can be discussed here regarding Linn? Squeezebox, I understand, involved a much larger user base than Linn, as did Sonos. Now the Devialet folks here are rightfully happy to have Roon supporting them – any chance we Linn users will soon have similar reason to celebrate?

First docs and stuff we’re given to us, now comes iteration.

Squeezebox was open and worked close enough to our model, so it was easy to fit in. Devialet AIR also very simple and good.

The new protocol Simon mentioned over on the Linn forums attempts to built a new, simple, and similar protocol, to AIR/Squeezebox.

Thanks, Danny. I’m looking forward to the fruits of this work.

And me
Been trying with sonore

Hi,

I am a Roon reseller, and Linn dealer as well. Is there any way I can join a beta program and help test this? The Devialet Air implementation works great (we’re also dealers for Devialet), so here’s hoping!

thank you,
Alex

Nothing to test yet… we’ve done zero coding work on this so far. We are still iterating with Linn on the details of the new protocol they are inventing.

1 Like

It’s probably too early to say, but is there any chance it will be possible to sync zones using this new Linn protocol with RAAT zones (for multi-room playback)?

No, not yet. Roon does not support multi-protocol syncing (yet).

LINN today have just released a new DAVAR beta with a new protocol called TransportService.

Is this what you have been waiting for???

If ROON have yet to do any coding this sounds like an end of the year/2018 project.

While I am currently using a SonicOrbiter to temporarily enable ROON access, and have paid for a full years subscription, it is easy to understand how I am chomping at the bit to have native ROON integration for my Klimax DS

No, that isn’t it. Your timeframe is a good guess, but we’ll see…

Danny
I just made another post on the Linn forum regarding Naim’s RMAF announcement about ROON integration.

Any updates on ROON progress for Linn? I think it is no longer appropriate that I continue to query Linn as they appear to have indicated that they turned over code to ROON several months ago and are now waiting on you guys for implementation.

I assume you are speaking about this: https://forums.linn.co.uk/bb/showthread.php?tid=34588&pid=444371#pid444371

We gave them feedback on that delivery, and after some iteration over the next few weeks, together, we nailed down some points on how to move forward.

As of early August 2017, we are waiting for firmware for the devices that implement their new protocol, and libraries to help facilitate debugging/development. They are aware of this deliverable and we are waiting.

I’m sure we will be the bottleneck soon enough, but right now it is not us.

Danny,

Any updates?

1 Like

Danny,
any updates?

Nope… you gotta push the team over at Linn – this is not in Roon’s hands at the moment. We are waiting, just like you. This is the last we’ve heard from them:

https://forums.linn.co.uk/bb/showthread.php?tid=34588&pid=454785#pid454785

I’m wondering if a RaspberryPi + a Digi HAT connected to a Linn via Toslink or Digital, can be a viable and cheap solution while we are waiting for the Linn guys? Obviously we would need a way to wake the Linn from Roon. What do you think?
R

Can’t see why not. I’d recommend the Allo DigiOne as a HAT, it’s an impressive bit of kit for the price and will give you a very clean low jitter feed via RCA or BNC coax. It will handle 24 bit 192 kHz into Linn streamers no problems.

Usually Most Linn Streamers are pure Ethernet streamers.

Well, we won’t be able to push them anymore since they shut down the “Roon support for Linn DS” thread on their forums. Guess we were getting a little too pushy!

Simon Chisholm (Linn Staff) posted this -

RE: Roon support for Linn DS
I’m locking this thread. A number of recent posts violate our terms of use.

We recognise the strong wish for Roon integration from a small number of DS owners. We’re working on this. We do not normally comment on precise timescales or status of DS software changes; we won’t make further posts about this topic until there is a beta available.

A couple of folks on the Linn thread did start taking hits at each other, which is prolly what they were referring to, but it seems like a better thing to do is to contact these guys separately instead of shutting down the whole thread. Guess they don’t want to hear about our requests anymore.#sad

FWIW, I couldn’t find the official Terms & Conditions, but I did find this https://forums.linn.co.uk/bb/showthread.php?tid=33239&highlight=terms+of+use

This one is encouraging…