Few questions on HQ Player

I want to venture into HQ player. My setup is

Intel NUC as roon core
Antipodes Ex as roon renderer
MSB Analog Dac - using an uptone ISO regen

I want to make the Antipodes Ex as my HQ Player. After reading the manual, I successfully installed HQ Player server software on the Antipodes and was able to use that as my player. In this case I am assuming HQ Player is acting as a renderer (player). Hope my assumption is correct.

After a few min, it stopped playing. When I hit the play button, nothing happens. I assume my trial license is over? If yes which license should I buy from Signalyst to make this work?

Is there any sonic improvement if I get the HQ Player desktop? What is it used for? I am a little confused on the architecture.

If HQ server offers better sound than Roon core, then can I install the HQ server on the same NUC that roon core (ROCK) is installed? If yes which license should I buy for this?

Thanks in advance.

Trial is 30 minutes from start of HQPlayer process. When you reboot/restart HQPlayer, you get another 30 minutes of trial. License key removes this limitation.

AFAIK, HQPlayer cannot be installed on ROCK. The two can coexist only on “normal” operating system…

Can u send me the link for the license? Also any thoughts on my other questions?
How do I do DSP on the hq player? where r the settings?

I am also thinking about room correction software adjustments. Will this be possible with the HQ player with Roon core?

I use the embedded HQPlayer on the EX. It is a renderer and can be controlled by Roon. The license is obtained by sending the fingerprint from the key or about page on the hqplayer menu at the bottom of the config screen. Order through @jussi_laako Signalyst website. He will send you a key file which you upload through the key page. The EX is a fantastic server. At present I use HQPlayer on the EX to send to a PI 4 with Jussi’s naa image to my dac. I have connected the ethernet from the second network port directly to the pi4. It’s a bit quieter although with cat 6 (no grounds either end) I doubt it matters. Enjoy, it’s as good as an mscaler.

1 Like

@Progisus Are u using the hqplayer server on the Ex? or the hqplayer NAA? I am having difficulty understanding the difference between the two. If you dont mind, can u post a screenshot of where to find the fingerprint stuff that you are talking about?

@Roon_Superuser
Jussi is the developer and owner of hq player.
Direct your questions at him @jussi_laako

Thanks. Looks like @jussi_laako looked at my post, but his answers weren’t quite helpful (so far). Hope he can give me some detailed answers

@Roon_Superuser
There are 2 types of licenses I believe.
I have the embedded version on my SMG sonictransporter server.
I upsample everything to dsd for 3 dacs and 192/24 for my other dac.
Four endpoints in total using sonore rendu.

To my ears it sounds better than the roon upsampling.

1 Like

@jussi_laako any word on what license I should buy? Also will I be able to get the full sound quality with just the Roon core and the hqplayer server (Though it’s technically a tenderer right )installed On my Ex ?

Yes I am using the HQPlayer server on the EX. Once you have installed it, go to the settings screen and select hqp. At the bottom of the page tap on about. The fingerprint for your EX is there. It ends in == . Copy this and buy the embedded license. Paste it in where asked. After you are sent the key file, it can be entered on the key link beside the about link on the config page.

The naa an endpoint app while the hqp server is a renderer. In the antipodes manual there are better explanations.

It’s a bit complex to setup but the familiarity it teaches will help you unlock its magic. It is a hobby for sure with satisfying results.

Hope this helps.

1 Like

@Progisus thank you very much! You answered my questions!!!
Also if you want to play with different DSP settings, where do you make those changes? Also I am looking to have my room measured using a UMIK-1 and REW and make some changes (might pay a professional service to have it worked). Can those changes be made on the hqplayer?

The dsp settings are on the config page. Convolution in HQPlayer is possible. I only use convolution for headphones and I do it in Roon.

1 Like

Thank you very much!

HQPlayer Embedded is full player, like Roon Core. NAA is a network endpoint like Roon Bridge.

HQPlayer Client (shipped with HQPlayer Desktop) is a front-end that can be used with either HQPlayer Desktop or HQPlayer Embedded server (and doesn’t require a separate license key). It is like Roon Remote or such.

If you go to /about page of HQPlayer web interface, there’s a string ending in “==” under title “Fingerprint”.

1 Like

@jussi_laako thanks. So in my case, If I install HQPlayer server on the EX, I will be using the less powerful EX as the HQ Player server (and eventually end up performing all the processor intensive DSP stuff on the EX right? If this is the case, whats the purpose of the roon core?

Should I consider installing the HQPlayer on my Intel NUC? Currently I have my Roon core (ROCK OS) on the NUC. Should I just wipe that out, and install windows / linux and install HQPlayer server there?

I don’t know about these Antipodes things so I cannot comment on that. But yes the CPU intensive operations happen in the HQPlayer server.

Purpose of Roon core is to control and stream content to the HQPlayer server for processing and playback. HQPlayer server can of course operate also standalone, so Roon as such is not necessary, but many people use it because of Roon’s user interface and library features.

The EX can easily handle Roon core and HQPlayer at the same time. Only the higher dsd processing may cause issues but it would on most computers. It will handle all pcm processing I have tried. You can run ex’s_ip/app_status.php to see the real time effects of dsp processing.

2 Likes

@Progisus How do you run app_status.php on the Ex? Is it a separate app?

Let’s say your EX IP is 192.168.1.100 then in a browser type 192.168.1.100/app_status.php That should do it. Let me know if it works.

@Progisus wonderful! thanks. Yes it works.
I see, on an average 7% load.