Fiber converters as close to the DAC as possible?

I created an wireless bridge (second router) in attempts to “clean up” my dedicated audio signal path. My logic (very limited) tells me to try and put the fiber converters as close to the DAC as possible? If the fiber converters are further upstream it will only add more noise to the signal path. Am I thinking about this correctly? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1. router>>>fiber converters>>switch>>imac roon core>>>>rasberry pi3>>>USB regen>>>DAC (mytek brooklyn)

2. router>>>>imac roon core>>>>fiber converters>>>>rasberry pi3>>>USB regen>>>DAC (myteck brooklyn)

Another can of worms opened up.

There’s plenty of ‘spirited’ discussion on the value of fiber optic converters, most of it negative. I know because I’ve been on the receiving end. Search on ‘fiber optic’ in this forum.

My plan was PCIe fiber optic card on Roon core machine -> run of fiber optic -> fiber to Ethernet converter -> endpoint -> DAC -> etc., etc…

Don’t get what you’re trying to accomplish in setup #1. Why put a switch after the conversion? My plan avoided switches by running an network endpoint on Roon core machine to fiber-Ethernet converter on the endpoint.

I’m still going to do this, just to tinker, but most people on this forum don’t believe SQ is improved by such an approach.

Some people convert to fiber right after the modem and then immediately convert back before the router, but that’s to isolate network ffrom lightening strikes, etc… It doesn’t do anything for SQ.

Thanks for your feedback, much appreciated! I decided on a microrendu and skip the noisy Pi3 crap. I think the rendu it the best bet for $700. No harm no foul on the $100 converters. Back to amazon they go if they do not make an audible difference. I’ll let you know.

Each additional component in your signal chain increases to potential of glitches. You should try to get along with as less components as possible.

Agreed sir, agreed! Allow me me to interject a very limited opinion. I have spent the last 7-10 years in the realm of home theater A/V. Recently, I decided to bulid the best 2 channel system I could within a 10k budget. I missed the purity of a simple 2 channel system.

I must say that during this journey I have encountered more snake oil BS inflated reviews and elitist crap then I could ever imagine. Why is it that the 2 channel crowd proclaim if you don’t spend 50k then ur system is s&$t! It’s not like that in the theater AV arena. Kinda get the same feeling in the cycling community. If ur not on a 15k cervelo then you are a are a pos! Ok…sorry for the rant. J

Welcome the the forum. The microRendu is a good choice. You can setup a nice system for $10k.

Thank you. Nice to feel welcomed.

2 Likes

The SOtM SMS-200 gets consistently better reviews than mRendu. Cheaper and comes with a power supply, which I swapped out for an iFi iPower wall wart.

Which reviews are you referring to? Links…

Oh boy, I’m betting that you have an mRendu and that I offended you by my statement.

Is it any better if I said the SMS-200 is just as good as mRendu, comes with a power supply and is $190 less?

I couldn’t find a direct compo between the 2 units, but here are some reviews that mention in passing the reviewer’s preference for the SMS-200 -

http://thehbproject.com/en/reviews/204/3/SOtM-sMS-200:-the-sound

And from the master, some comments on the need for any transport above a DietPi -

You’re probable going to reply with all the reasons the mRendu is better or why the reviewers were mistaken in their preferences. The OP called himself a newbie and I was trying to give him an alternative to, in my opinion, the much over-hyped mRendu.

BTW - Were didja find the Ewok? I thought they were extinct. :sunglasses:

Not sure one player is any better than the other. I have three Roon Ready endpoint players. I use the mR with the NAA/HQ Player setup. The Computer Audiophile article doesn’t make the claim of either being superior, if anything only the software on the mR being a little better. The SOTM sounding clear, and the mR sounding more analog/organic.

The ewok is named Daisy. She is a ten year old Coton de Tulear. She is a small stocky little dog whose descendants were from the island of Madagascar, off the coast of east Africa. She sits up as pictured for treats, belly rubs, and photo ops…

No offense taken to your comments. The SOTM might work out better in your setup. I just like to hear the background for why/how the comments are based.