Fidelizer - Any experience?

Hi All, while I’m trying to make my mind up about a Roon Bridge purchase I was thinking of trying Fidelizer as an alternative. Has anyone got any experience of this software, if so your opinions good or bad would be appreciated.

I used it on my JPlay dual PC setup, it works, but I found Audiophile Optimiser had a more significant impact on SQ

1 Like

… and you can use both at the same time

1 Like

Fidelizer: I’ve been using it for several years now with windows 10/11. In the “Purist” mode on a fanless pc with only Roon. Only good experiences with this. Can really recommend it.

1 Like

Thanks Andrew & Roony, I’ll have a “play” later, while digesting xmas, see what happens & report back :+1:t3:

I had good luck using Fidelizer with Roon Bridge. I would not recommend it on a computer that also runs the Roon desktop app or Roon Server.

If you are using a Windows PC as a dedicated output, directly connected to a USB or HDMI DAC, Fidelizer Pro is a solid choice for getting O/S optimization done right for audio.

1 Like

Thanks for your response David. I am considering Fidelizer for my Windows 11 core which feeds my Chord Dave via usb, so I’m curious as why you wouldn’t recommend it for a Roon desktop device?

The assumption is that there is an inverse relationship between CPU/GPU activity and sound quality of an endpoint device. The goal of Fidelizer is to reduce CPU noise by minimizing background processing. This can be effective with Roon Bridge, which uses very little CPU to begin with; all it does is copy digital audio to an attached DAC.

Some of the optimization strategies Fidelizer uses involve disabling or curtailing antivirus scans, which can be risky if you’re also using the computer to surf the web, download email attachments, etc. The optimizations are pointless if you’re also running the Roon desktop app, which can be CPU and GPU intensive. CPU optimizations may be detrimental to the performance and reliability of Roon Server, unless it is explicitly excluded from optimization. And, if excluded what’s the point of using Fidelizer on this system in the first place??

If you want a Windows endpoint, you’re better off buying an inexpensive fanless PC, installing Roon Bridge and Fidelizer Pro, and using it exclusively as an Output. The most common reason for doing so is folks who want an output that works well with 5.1 via HDMI. A few older DACs and audio interfaces are incompatible with Linux or require Windows drivers to function, so that’s another common use case.

Otherwise, you’re usually better off using something like the iFi ZEN Stream or an RPi endpoint solution, like RoPieee or VitOS for RPi4.

1 Like

Thanks David, that’s much food for thought, thank you. Certainly Fidelizer is not likely to offer benefits without serious compromise on my existing arrangement (Win11 core feeding direct to Dave).
I shall need to look at a standalone nuc with Roon server as the next development as you suggested.

1 Like

While I do think you would enjoy a NUC with Roon Server, between now and then, I encourage you to check out VitOS for Raspberry Pi4. Like a ROCK build, you have to get your hands a little dirty, but not very much. Everything snaps together like Legos, so no soldering involved. Here’s my suggested parts list for the project:

You’ll also need an SD card reader if your PC does not already have an SD card slot. Flash the microSD with the latest version of VitOS from https://www.silent-angel-audio.com/vitos-for-rpi4. Assemble the RPi and then use the free VitOS Manager app to install Roon Bridge. I cover the process in this video that I live-streamed last year:

Thanks, I will have a look at this as time is not a problem for me.

My original thought was to “quieten” the PC while deciding on a Roon Ready Bridge but I now have a little more to look at. Certainly the Pi4 option is cheap enough to try out (even in the UK) and can always be used elsewhere if need be.

1 Like

For sure. The RPi4 is made in the UK. Should be able to pick one up down the street. I failed to mention that the VitOS solution requires a wired Ethernet connection, but that’s always best anyway.

Wired is fine, i’ve ethernet everywhere :+1:t4:

1 Like

Alas, having checked many times, Pi4 availability is currently “non-existent” :roll_eyes:

Hello David,
I am planning on trying out the free version of Fidelizer. I currently have Roon Core on one PC, servers on two PCs and Roon endpoint on one PC connected by USB to a Bifrost Multibit. I use RAAT and Roon Bridge. Where should I install the Fidelizer?
Thanks!
Kim
ADDENDUM: Norton spits out Fidelizer, says “Dangerous!”

Fidelizer should go on the PC that is directly connected to your USB DAC. Works best with nothing else installed, including antivirus software. Works fine with Roon Bridge. Not great with Roon Server or the desktop app.

1 Like

Thank you David. Got the free version installed. Listening to well-known stuff I perceive much better vocals, along with space and clarity (those tired old adjectives I often scoff at). My Bifrost has the subpar USB input that Mike Moffatt doesn’t like so maybe the Fidelizer is reducing jitter in that area, Anyway, I’m impressed so far.

1 Like

I use Fidelizer on my server and endpoint. It’s easy to hear the benefits. No negatives. Can be used with AudiophileOptimizer, HQPlayer, other software too. You certainly can’t hurt yourself by trying. It’s free.

2 Likes

Just have to say that i have better vocals, soundstage, clarity, and just plain involvement with my music, all adjectives i have laughed at before. I am amazed that a free product has affected my system this way. I cant claim expectation bias because i wasnt expecting any improvement. I will have to buy the $$$version out of guilt.

1 Like

You should also try the Audiophile Optimizer. Awesome sound quality. Great to work with. Compliments Fidelizer.

1 Like