Fiio M11Plus ESS and M11S with Roon Ready is fanatasic!

Thanks for your answers folks. Now I need to decide between m11 and m17.

Not heard the M17 but I can highly recommend the M11 Plus sounds fab to me and offers superb value for money. My Hifi hasn’t had a look in since getting it, old DAC and head amp packed away to move on, my ADI 2 hasn’t been touched either.

1 Like

Just remember: the M17 is BIG & HEAVY!

How does the M11 plus handle DSD? Native up to ? Is it possible to send higher DSD with roon?

And is this a new version?

M11 plus 2

The plus seems to be only able to handle DSD 256 and Dop128 and pcm 384

That is a clear benefit :slight_smile:

Same goes for Roon Ready at home :slight_smile:

But what about ARC? How do you use ARC? Or not? Connecting the M11 and the phone with USB-C cable when using ARC?

As a I am not going to use SD card, ARC is very important for me when I am not at home.

THX :slight_smile:

Torben

So, if you want a large library that can be used offline for ARC (meaning you want an SD card but you want it ARC accessible), I recommend waiting a bit longer. That’s what I’m doing. Roon Ready is terrific, but none of these beasts are yet what I’d call ARC-ready. There’s a bit of discussion on it in this thread below. Others can feel free to disagree - I get what a big deal this next step has been and the use case. But if I can’t use my phone as a remote on the go, and/or I can’t store that much of my library, then I’m still not ready to hit the buy button - personally.

1 Like

Yes, Roon Ready would be very nice. But if there is no ARC solution for M11 or M17 than it has no value to me.

Torben

It’s the latest ess one there is no Plus II is just Plus ESS. it’s limited to DSD256 via network only works the higher rates for sdcard same for their app I believe. Don’t give a hoots about DSD don’t own any and won’t don’t see the point myself doesn’t bring anything to me.

There is an arc solution it works as it does on phones soon better as it won’t need an external DAC.

I don’t use ARC with it at moment as I am keeping it home when working, it will be used when I travel properly. No USB I would use Wi-Fi to connect to my phones hotspot and stream that way. I don’t want an external DAC I am fine as it is until they update to support in built DACs and stop resampling. Which as I said is being worked on.

To me it’s replaced all my dedicated headphone stations it sounds as good moves around the house with me and is perfect zone for Roon.

I enjoy DSD upsampling in Roon. So this would be indeed worth considering for me since I have a bunch of native DSD files as well that where not converted from pcm.

:slight_smile: and the plus 2 is only 70-100€ more expensive.

That is a good sales argument :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Torben

There seems to be a"FiiO M11 Plus II" version based on the link above. But if you go the FiiO online shop there is only a “FiiO M11 Plus” version. Strange!

Torben

Probably because they have the Plus 1 on sale in the FiOO shop.?

There isn’t a 1 or 2 it’s just the Plus LTD or Plus. Original used AKM DAC that’s called Plus LTD as they became in short supply due to AKM fire, they changed DAC to ESS it’s just called Plus still although the trend is for retailers to add ESS after it but packaging is just Plus. They have not updated the website to include the Plus they only show the M11S and the now discontinued M11.

It was a short run due to AKM DAC it’s called the LTD and is discontinued, you still may find a retailer with one still mind.

This is exactly what I’m doing with an M17.

I wouldn’t buy an M11 Plus or an M17 with the intent to use it with ARC outside of the house. It’s not there yet. It’s a fine choice for outside the house if you want to load up the SD card and use either FiiO’s app or one of the many 3rd party players. It’s open Android (10) and you can easily install any 3rd party music app like Qobuz, Apple, Tidal and most of those are ahead of ARC with respect to being capable of downloading to the SD card and playing at native frequencies. Obviously you need to tether if you want connectivity.

Inside the house, these are breakthrough devices for non-stationary headphone use. If that’s your primary use case, and it is mine, they’re great.

Don’t ignore this warning from @Martin_Kelly, though.

2 Likes

AT LAST I’ve found the settings in Android so that the M17’s LOCK button locks the buttons and screen, but keeps the volume wheel active.

I can now control Roon from my IPad Pro, lock the M17 but keep the volume control wheel active :smiley:

Oops. Wrong thread!

3 Likes

Double liked in both places.

2 Likes

Here is FiiO M11 Plus II 749,00 €

and here FiiO M11 Plus 669,00

Torben