Fiio M11Plus ESS and M11S with Roon Ready is fanatasic!

I got the firmware update on my M11 a couple of days ago. I’m a new Roon and M11 user so I didn’t understand how it would be better using Roon to the M11 vs using the Arc app. The update installed a FiiO Roon app

The M11 is heavy so it’s nice to just use the Roon remote on my phone or computer and send it to my M11 in my pocket. I don’t have to pull it out to change the songs anymore. It’s amazing!

It totally enhances my Roon experience to the point where I will be switching my membership to lifetime before the deadline tonight. I’m only 2 weeks into my annual membership too so I will be getting that back as a credit so I lied to myself that my lifetime subscription is only $580 because I already paid the $120 so “it doesn’t count” :grimacing: The holidays have been a real treat for me this year with Roon and M11. I worked hard this year and deserved a reward and the joy I’m getting from music now is huge! Totally worth the money.

10 Likes

I just put in an order on the M11 plus.

1 Like

Congratulations on both Roon and your new M11, @Star_Be! I have a similar device that I love for similar reasons. It’s hard to imagine you’ll regret a lifetime subscription - I’m glad I went that route.

Congratulations to you, too! :slight_smile: I assume you’re expecting the DAC’s frequency to be pinned to something (maybe 768). If you’re interested, I can share the tracks I made for switching frequencies - my guess is that they’ll work. You can also easily whip them up in Audacity, which is what I did, if you’re handy with it.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts on the M11 Plus! Should be fun!

1 Like

It’s Roon Ready now this means it’s moved beyond the standard Android limitations as it’s using the Roon SDK in their code hence Roon app is not required so that limitation no longer is a problem. As I explained to you Roon Ready is a very different thing to using the Roon app on Android it has to pass certification programs and work like other Roon Ready devices. Only two DAP makes have this moniker A&K on their higher level DAPs and know Fiio. It’s nothing to do with the Android app.

I’ll sure feedback on how it does won’t be here for a a few days yet so time for me to recover from a Covid I hope and enjoy it and see if it’s significantly better than my my non Roon Ready Hiby.

1 Like

Oh boy. Sorry :frowning: Hope you get through it quickly and easily.

I get the implication of Roon Ready. I actually thought that this was a mis-use of that term just like it was on the previous thread - I thought this was compat fixes, not full Roon readiness.

Now I’m confused about the UX. The A&Ks act as Roon endpoints but have no Roon Remote UX and no affordance for installing one. When you’re up for it, would be interesting to hear what the experience is on these. If there’s a “FiiO Roon App” which is the thing that implements Roon Readiness, does it work to also install Roon Remote from the App Store and control the device? Maybe you already know the answer here but it’s not clear that whatever FiiO did for Roon Ready can co-exist (share an IP) with the Roon Remote app.

Anyhow…hope you feel better.

There isn’t a Fiio Roon app it’s just added a way turning Roon Ready off or on from the ui that’s all. It’s Roon Ready meaning code is built in you don’t need the Roon app although it will still continue to work as it did for the Roon app resampling and all of you use its zone but you can use it as a controller for the Roon Ready output. A&K never supported Roon app they support very little in 3rd party apps all said and done.

Roon Ready is just that it has no UX it just allows the device to allow you to play to it like any Roon Ready streamer does. You use any Roon remote to do this it can be the Roon app on device or something else entirely.

You sure? The OP wrote:

Updated my M17 last night. I thought the app had been fixed too, but I had the settings messed up. I think the app was controlling the Roon Ready. Whenever I changed to another song, the Roon Ready interface was showing the same thing, but it playback was pausing every 15 seconds. Out of frustration I reset both to defaults and that seems to have fixed the pausing. Now they’re separate and the app still behaves as it always has. Roon Ready is only playing Tidal and Qobuz at 44.1kHz though. I checked the settings and Tidal is set to Master and Qobuz is set to HiRes 24bit/192kHz. Maybe a limitation with the Roon Ready on this device?

This is what it says

Added ROON Ready function (on desktop screen or click the FiiO Roon in the drop-down menu to use);

It won’t be an app that does more than turn the Roon Ready function on or off on the device to give users a choice to have it enabled or not like a lot of streamers do.

That makes sense.

The only thing I wonder about is what happens when you run the Roon Remote app while the streamer is enabled. The reason to do this is so that you can get the benefits of the Roon Ready implementation including (I assume) the correct behavior with respect to frequencies. You obviously know this stuff better than I do but won’t the core see both the streaming endpoint and the Remote app on the same IP? Will it just handle that correctly?

Personally, I’m not sure if I really care if my DAP is Roon Ready in this particular way. I think I’d rather just have Roon Remote and ARC do the right thing with frequencies. As it stands, I can use Roon Remote, make the zone non-private, and still use my phone or whatever other clients to control it. Maybe I’m missing something, though.

I doubt that it maybe be a bug in their code more likely. Will test it when it comes. What’s the signal path in Roon show exactly for a hires qobuz or an MQA in Tidal?

The app and Roon Ready are independent of each other. You don’t use the audio output of the Roon remote app any more as that’s still tied to the same old code as before. You now control the Roon Ready zone from the app. You disable the remotes audio zone in the settings and enable the Roon Ready output. Switch to it like any other zone in app. That it. Any device has the capability to be multiple zones. Add more than one DAC to a pi or a pc and you get multiple zones. Sonos have AirPlay and Sonos streaming concurrent my Naim has Roon Ready, AirPlay and Chromecast all concurrent. Roon Ready and the app use different tech the app is more like Roon Bridge. But it’s best in the case of the this to just disable the apps audio zone as it’s just not required and superceeded by Roon Ready that allows bit perfect and all the full feedback that comes with a Roon Ready device.

I think you’re mistaking my point here.

In the scenarios you describe above, you have a single process and, consequently, a single network stack. In this case, you’ll have both the Roon Ready (built into device firmware) stack as well as, if you want on-device control, the Roon Remote app. Two processes. Do they try to open the same port(s)? I have no clue. I don’t think it’s the same on-device process model that you describe in the other cases, though.

If I play this on the Tidal app, it shows as 88.2kHz. Same thing with HiRes Qobuz albums. I’m also getting slow network messages on Roon, but no issues with Qobuz or Tidal apps. A quick scan with Ekahau Analyzer and Sidekick and I’m not seeing any 5GHz RF issues.

That’s handing off all MQA to the Fiio as it’s after RAAT. Tidal app will be applying the first decode Roon isn’t doing anything but sending the native stream to the Fiio and shows the ORFs only as MQA rendering is a black box it won’t know what it will be after it leaves Roon. If you set Roons MQA decode to on and devices MQA settings to renderer then you will get Roon showing the same.

I still don’t see it being a problem as devices and remotes work on different ports. I’ll let you know when I have it.

1 Like

I set it to renderer only and get this:

Default will be decoder and renderer as it is one but this means all is done via Fiio so Roon will only report what it’s sent on the device should show its rate and if decoding MQA separately . Roons MQA decoder is in the advanced section of device settings but you don’t need it unles doing any dsp. The Fiio should be able to decode and render and show in its sample rate display as to what it’s doing, this sounds like a question for their support. If I play MQA to my SMSL DAC I get the same as this as it’s the DAC doing the full decode and render.

An app was installed on my device after I got the firmware update notification. It is called Fiio Roon. When I open the app, it allows my M11 to show up in the Roon remote so I can play to it. The new firmware for M17/M11S/M11 Plus LTD/M11 Plus is now available!-FiiO---BORN FOR MUSIC

2 Likes