Fiio M11Plus ESS and M11S with Roon Ready is fanatasic!

My M11Plus ESS is basically a dedicated Roon player. My home screen has just a few apps and I don’t care for the stock wallpapers.

So I threw a few Roon wallpapers together. Shared here in case anyone else is interested.

5 Likes

Well you’re returning the favour now. Your eloquent defence of Android 10 is likely to push me over the edge on this one.

1 Like

It wasn’t the artwork that did it?

If you buy it, it stops working in 4 or 5 years because of Android 10, and you’re angry at us for recommending it, please feel free to come back to this thread and tell us about it. Someone will probably still be here to listen. More likely, if you’re still using it at that point, you’ll marvel at what a long run you had with it and be glad you bought it. Even more likely, you’ll have moved on to something better before then.

Hopefully you can purchase somewhere that offers returns in case it’s not right for you. It might not be.

2 Likes

Seems unlikely, I mean it plays music right? :wink:

1 Like

Worst case… you buy a new one in 5 years. It’s a dap and not a new car.

1 Like

Hi Torben
Android isn’t like iOS, it doesn’t need the latest version to run the latest apps. Google updates the app subsystem so even phone’s on much older versions of Android are able to get apps installed. They backports the latest API features to quite old versions of Android

Edit I just realised that further on you have purchased it. Hopefully you can fully enjoy this device

1 Like

True, but I like to get my mileage value all the same. I’ve still got a couple of iPod classics on the go. Not far off 20 years old now…

1 Like

Gents @CrystalGipsy @Michael_Harris @gTunes

If there are some optimal settings or pitfalls to avoid (FiiO M11 Plus) - based on your experience with Roon - it would be great if you could share it.

THX :slight_smile:

Torben

2 Likes

None that I have encountered it just works and does what it says on the tin. Any setings for the audio side are highly personal and subjective. Use gain in different modes dependant on what phones your using, dac filters are up to you I dont hear any differences with them my self never have on any dac.

By the end of the week, I’ll have my hands on a brand new shiny one myself :slight_smile:

@gTunes & @CrystalGipsy if it all goes wrong I sort of know where you live :wink:

4 Likes

That is good to know :slight_smile: mein is coming before the WE.

Torben

1 Like

I also have a shiny new M11 Plus on order which should arrive sometime before the weekend. :smiley:

The M11 Plus will be competition with the Focal Bathys (used in USB DAC mode). Of course with the M11 Plus one can use just about any headphone so then the question becomes what headphone is best to use with the M11 Plus when away from home and traveling. :headphones:

2 Likes

““Unfortunately”” I can only use IEM’s - with others, my ears quickly start to sweat. But I am happy with my Astell & Kern Pathfinder + Meze Rai Penta :slight_smile:

Good luck with your M11 Pluss when it comes :slight_smile:

Torben

1 Like

Peer pressure, lol

1 Like

Well, it’s now saying no delivery before Monday 30th. The finger of blame is twitching :wink:

Where did you order it from?

AdvancedMP3Players, as I got a bit of a deal. Starting to wish I’d paid full price and gone Amazon :wink:

The seller is same via Amazon in uk. I ordered mine via Amazon but it came through amp3

Right. Washington. You know, uh, Sunderland. Just off the A1231. See you when you get here!

Congratulations to all of you!

@CrystalGipsy is right it about it just working. There’s not much to recommend given that you are all expert Roon users. Here are a few ideas, you’d think of all of them anyhow:

• The pull down “Quick Settings” panel is editiable. You can move icons around and move them out of view completely. Unless you are actively toggling between PO and LO on your outputs, set them to PO and move those icons out of view. Do the same with anything else you don’t use. I don’t use Android Mode, All to DSD, Volume Touch, and others. They’re all cleaned up and out of view.

• Play with the gain settings with different phones. I ignore the DAC filter settings, too. I also ignore “Second harmonic regulation” but maybe play with that.

• Disable Bluetooth when you’re not using it if only for a bit of battery savings.

• In Display, enable “Sample rate display”.

• In Global → Volume Settings, set Max system volume. I actually do strongly recommend this. I have mine set to 100. The M11 can go dangerously loud for my headphones and ears.

• I disable the touch panel in Global → Volume touch panel settings. I prefer using the panel as buttons.

• In Global → Power-off timers, I set Idle poweroff to 30 minutes. I don’t bother quitting FiiO Roon. I just let it power down if I’m not using it for a while

• Ignore the included FiiO store - use the Play Store. I personally use a Gmail account I created specifically for this purpose. Annoyingly, the account needs to have a payment instrument to be usable. One of my credit cards supports virtual account numbers and those can have attached daily spending limits. That’s what I do - it has a very low daily spending limit. You can also buy a small amount gift card and put that on the account. If you want to go this route, you can do it while you’re waiting for you DAP to arrive :slight_smile:

• This one’s obvious but if you install Roon Remote, and you should, be sure to disable the Default Output zone.

There’s really nothing particularly interesting on this list - just power it up, install firmware updates, and go!

2 Likes

I use mine exclusively with IEMs - sounds amazing with my pair of U12t. I prefer the balanced outs to the 3.5mm. For what it’s worth, these sound significantly better to me than my Focal Clear MG.