Fiio M6 "An audio file is loading slowly"

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

RoonServer Docker (teefdebruijn/docker-roonserver) on Unraid

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Linksys Velop AC1300 Dual band. RoonServer wired to unmanaged switch then to Velop.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Fiio M6 via wifi

Description Of Issue

I cannot play any Roon tracks from this device without it cutting out at around 10-15 seconds and saying “An audio file is loading slowly”. Same things happens with Tidal or locally hosted tracks. Tidal app works fine on the same device.

It seems I may have solved the problem. I was having a problem with my 128GB sd card continously disconnecting. After swapping it for a 16GB, the SD disconnects stopped and Roon now also seems to playback correctly. I’ll keep this post updated if the problem returns.

Hey @Alexander_Kravec,

Thanks so much for reaching out as soon as you ran into this issue. I’m thrilled that just a few hours later you’ve found the solution (at least for now) - thanks for all the effort you put in during those few hours.

We’ll be around should this or any other issue come up :slightly_smiling_face:

So this issue returned the next day. I can only assume it is a problem with the wifi on the Fiio M6 since I have many other devices playing roon over wifi.

Most likely, WiFi implementation in these Chinese DAPs is not great, some being very subpar. I have the Hiby R5 and it’s ok and plays Roon fine but the WiFi is weak and drops off quite easily. Was even worse on the iBasso DX160 even stood under the WiFi access point it barely got above 30mb/s moved away into a room and it dropped to about 5mb/s.

Ganted that the M6 is not a premium DAP and it is a bit dated, but I will still partly lay blame on RoonServer as TIDAL Masters play without interruption on the same device via the TIDAL app.

Roons sending uncompressed pcm though as opposed to flac that will be transferred via Tidal, the size difference is quite substantial and may just push it over. Flac is more than half the size of pcm.

I wonder if Roon could ‘dumb’ down these files before they are sent to this particular DAP. The only reason I bought the M6 was to listen to my HE-400i planar magnetics wherever I wish (backyard, walk, etc.). When at home, I drive them with a USB DAC running off of Riopee next to my lazyboy. As we speak, I am using the M6s bluetooth DAC feature from my phone, which works fine, but is slightly more convoluted than I wanted.

Is the m6 powefull enough for these planar headphones? Ik have the m11 and that goes allright. Ik assumed the m6 was more suites for in-ears.

I have a pair in in ears to, but yes, they do drive the HE-400i as these are relatively low impedance for planars. The sound is not as powerful as through my tube headphone amp, but still quite loud.

Is the roon remote useable on the FiiO M6 because of the quite small screen. You’ve to have good eyes I believe) And what is de downsampling of Roon to the FiiO. I hope it’s not downsampled to 16bit as stated somewhere on the community-webste.)

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.