File or Qobuz loading slowly ONLY ON ANDROID DEVICES

Great suggestion and definitely worth a try, so I did a full factory reset on my Samsung tablet and re-installed Roon Remote but unfortunately it did not solve the problem - all tracks still stop playing after about five seconds.

I have the same problem of cuts every 5 seconds on my Samsung tablet.
I have restored it to factory settings and the problem persists.
I request a solution as soon as possible.

I could do a half test with my laptop. Caveat: I run the Windows remote on linux and could not actually make it output sound. It did show as streaming the music to the zone, though.

• Laptop: “played” one and a half tracks seemingly without issue
  • Android 10, Moto G8 Play: Same album, played immediately after: dropout with “loading too slowly” after less than 5 secs.

The phone (Moto M8) and the laptop (chronic) on my router web page, the laptop and phone were 5 meters from the router (the phone does not do 5 GHz):

The signal path of my phone when it drops out:

1 Like

How much longer do we have to wait for this problem to be fixed?
We are several users who have complained about this problem and Roon does not provide us with any answer, much less a solution.

1 Like

We are still waiting for a satisfactory response on this issue.

Three separate reports of the same problem have been documented here. Could someone from the Roon Support community please at least confirm whether this is being actively investigated and if not, why not.

I think that would be a great test.

The fact that the problem persists when you take your device to a different network and Core server suggests that the problem is with the device or devices. The iPad test doesn’t mean that much, as it involves a different networking stack, antenna, and other hardware. Ditto for why your laptop works OK. The fact that everyone is not experiencing this suggests that it’s not a generic fault in the Roon Android app. The fact that other apps work OK also doesn’t mean much, because they use different protocols to transfer the bits of music (as @CrystalGipsy pointed out weeks ago).

I just tried playing a local file with Roon to my Pixel 4a, an Android phone. Works like a charm. Presumably we’re both using the same Android app.

Thanks @Bill_Janssen for your insights. At last I feel someone is taking an interest in this!

If I may respond to each of your comments individually:

I agree

The test was to prove beyond reasonable doubt whether there was a problem with my network config which I was continually being told. This proved the network was not the issue.

Yes, I think you are probably correct that there is something about these devices that the Roon Remote app doesn’t like. The reason I originally suspected it was specifically the App was that it suddenly started happening on two completely different Android devices at the same time (Motorola G4 phone and Samsung tablet) both running different versions of the Android o/s. The explanation could be that they perhaps use the same internal audio chip set?

Again, you are correct, but at the time of the reply you refer to, this point was being used to support the notion that it was a network problem, which I have subsequently disproven

I am using the latest Android app from Play Store, could you confirm that too?

1 Like

Yes, I’m running the latest (b1021) from the play store on my Pixel 4a.

Well… Clearly the issue has something to do with your device. But that’s not to say there isn’t some setting in your network that could be changed to fix the situation. Best to regard the combination of device and network as a system, which like all systems has emergent properties. However, assuming the network your friend runs isn’t the same as yours (hardware, settings), and the problem persists there, the network is unlikely to be the problem.

What kind of WiFi router do you have?

Bear in mind, too, that Android isn’t completely generic. Phone manufacturers have to write software to drive the radios in their phones, LTE and WiFi and Bluetooth, and as you say they use different chipsets as well.

I’ve installed the Android APK on an Amazon Fire TV tablet, too, b1021, and it runs fine there, as well.

It’s a “Huawei IGD”
Provided by Talk Talk (UK broadband provider)

From the router’s admin home page:

Device Type: DG8041W
Description: EchoLife DG8041W Home Gateway

I have a Fritzbox 6591 Cable

As I mentioned 10 days ago.

Not familiar with this router. Found a somewhat disparaging review, but no manual I can find to check out what features it has.

I do see a lot of people complaining about the Moto G series WiFi performance, though. On reddit.

Indeed you did, as you’re quoting your own post. Huzzah!

But why reply to me about it? And, out of curiosity, what spec of which part of the system do you think would be the most probable culprit?

I am 5 meters from the router, I get > 60 mbps in a speed test in every repetition, and yet the streaming over Roon can’t maintain a bit rate for CD quality streaming on either the Moto and the Samsung. While Netflix, YT, Qobuz app (incl. 24/196), and any other networking application never have any problem. I have my doubts that it’s the mobiles

1 Like

The Moto G8 might not have stellar wifi but it is a smartphone from 2020 and doesn’t have any wifi problems otherwise that I ever noticed. The Samsung tablet has a completely different chipset and is from the same year. Both Android 10. Yet I can watch Netflix and YT in full HD or stream Qobuz 24/196 without any issues on both devices, and Roon struggles with 16/44.1 on both

Does point to Roons net code that’s struggling on these devices.

1 Like

There is something that I do not understand.

If before the last updates the playback on Android devices was working correctly, how difficult is it for Roon technicians to investigate what they have modified since then and thus be able to find the problem?

2 Likes

These problems suddenly started happening just after build 970 dropped. Maybe that would be a good place to start looking. Here’s a link to the release details: Roon 1.8 (Build 970) is Live!

Sure. Must be frustrating!

But distance/speed isn’t the main story here. It’s the wireless and networking protocols that are being used. Roon assumes that all of IP, as far as I can tell, works. And it tends to use parts of IP that maybe some other services don’t. The fact that it’s always 5 seconds till cutoff is suspicious. I suspect that there’s some background operation that’s failing consistently, possibly an operation introduced in build 970, and that it trips over some bug in the networking stack. But without looking at the phone’s system log and the Roon logs, it’s hard to confirm that suspicion.

I can’t say that for me it’s always 5 seconds exactly, but it’s very quickly in the seconds range in any case.

I have a very simple network (one router, one switch) with no special configuration whatsoever, and in the 10 years I have lived in this place didn’t have a single LAN/wifi issue with anything else.

I’d be happy to provide logs for whatever, if @support showed any interest at all