File Tag Best Practice - Questions

But you can force composers to be shown for all genres by setting Show composer credits to “Always” in Settings --> General. You need to scroll down to the bottom of the pop-up.

Thanks for pointing this out - I have set all my albums to classical and now I see the composer where it should be.

The album artist is a string. The primary artist links are entities representing individuals or groups. We attempt to identify primary artists in the album artist string and replace them with clickable links if we can.

OK - I think I got it - so the clickable primary artists are always a subset of the ALBUMARTIST.

What would be the best practice for maintaining Orchestra names then? Being a german, I’ve tagged my german and austrian orchestras in german. Will Roon “translate” Wiener Philharmoniker to Vienna Philharmonic or should I start maintaining orchestras in english?

What would be the best practice for that?

Thanks
Klaus

You should be okay with the names in German.

For “Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra”, we also have:

I still have questions regarding how Roon deal with file tags.
I’ve tagged the following album according to the recommendations found in the Roon’s knowledge base and in the forum (I use MP3TAG for tagging).
Beethoven : String Quartets Op. 59/3, Op. 132, Op. 18/2 & Op. 131 by Artemis Quartet.
This album is recognized by Roon.

Here are the main tags for the first track:

• ALBUM: Beethoven: Quatuors à cordes n° 9, 15, 2 & 14
  • ALBUMARTIST: Artemis Quartet
  • COMPOSER: Ludwig van Beethoven
  • ENSEMBLE: Artemis Quartet
  • WORK: Quatuor à cordes n° 9 en Ut majeur “Razumovsky”, Op. 59
  • PART: 1. Introduzione (Andante con moto) - Allegro vivace
  • PERSONNEL: Natalia Prischenpenko - violin; Heime Müller - violin; Volker Jacobsen - viola; Eckart Runge - cello

(note that the ARTIST tag and the SOLOIST tag are empty)

First question: Are these metadata correctly entered? (notably regarding the PERSONNEL tag)

If they are, why are these information not shown by Roon?

For example, I’d like to have the Composition title in French (see the WORK tag above). But in the Roon’s Composition Editor, if I select “Prefer File Data” for the Title, I have the message “Roon data is being used because your file does not have this data”. Yet Roon reads the WORK information, as shown in the File Tags window.

Same thing for PERSONNEL. If the information is correctly entered (which I am not sure of), why doesn’t Roon display it in the Track credits window?

Thank you for your help.
Thierry

Is this feature new? Because specifically with that orchestra I’ve tried in the past and the two languages have been seen as separate artists.

Great thread. I need to read and digest carefully.

Small tip about the Zimerman: I identified it as part of a box set, which gave me date and venue of performance, which is (as you know) extremely useful with classical performances.

Here it is. It’s not been edited since 1.3. Now I can tidy up the mess (and my file tags).

still do: had to merge, in 1.3, Wiener Philharmoniker and Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra :confused:

Thanks. I wonder if that is the designed behaviour?

oh, and btw… only Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra has an associated image, so had to pick it as “main” :frowning:

@joel

Apologies: we found a problem our handling of the VERSION tag; it is being imported, but is not being displayed; this has been fixed for the next Roon 1.3.x update.

Hi Joel,
has this been fixed? I still do not see my VERSION tag content displayed on my albums.

Thanks
Klaus

I have the same questions as Thierry. Has anyone answered?