Finally got wired connection to main listening room and

After your DIY success try listening

Flanders & Swann — The Gas Man Cometh

It’s a hoot

1 Like

Well, perhaps your wired setup will turn out to be more reliable. And, if the psychologists are right, you WILL hear the improved SQ eventually.

I felt your pain reading this. At least you had the sense to buy big beer ahead of time. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

How about $2400 DACs? :slight_smile:

I raiise you a dCs vivaldi.

I wait, with great anticipation, for the iFi Pro iDSD. Great as it is. If they add Roon integration, then it sets the stage for others to follow. All for $2500.

Yes, they had to recall early units, but that’s just teething pains.

I thought you were lusting after a TEAC

Good memory, but I’ve moved on. According to reviews the TEAC is overpriced for what it is.

Sorry you didn’t see the improvement you were hoping for but you saved me a lot of trouble by sharing your story.

I’m gonna stick with my very stable WiFi connection after all.

I wasn’t really putting it in for an improvement in sq, more in readiness for possible nucleus or other audiophile music server purchase as these won’t run well on wireless and at their cost they are not hiding in my server cupboard but pride and place with other hifi equipment.

1 Like

I see you and raise -

Only $22K?! I could get one for each room of the house. But only if it does MQA…

1 Like

I loved the ridiculous (was it Denon?) $700 Ethernet cable that was absolutely trolled in comments on Amazon a few years ago. But $1,500 USB massage devices? Excuse me while I collect myself off of the floor. :laughing:

To be fair - only $1200 before tax -
https://www.sotm-audio.com/sotmwp/english/portfolio-item/tx-usbultra/

Probably more egregious examples.

Come to think of it here are more (from a previous rant) -

“Man, once surrendering his reason, has no remaining guard against absurdities, the most monstrous, and like a ship without a rudder is the sport of every wind. With such persons, gullibility takes the helm from the hand of reason, and the mind becomes a wreck.” --Thomas Jefferson

It really depends on your environment. I live in a condo where if I set up my laptop to look for access points, I can see anywhere from about 150 to 300 AP’s depending on environmental conditions.

That being said, I try and hard wire anything I possibly can. I call it the gymnasium effect. If you and I are in a gymnasium we can have a civil conversation. Bring in a few more people and it gets a little louder, and you may have to repeat what you say. Bring in dozens? You end up shouting and nobody can hear anybody. This is how WiFi works. (It’s also why it would be nice if the neighbours would turn their wifi strength down instead of cranking the crap out of it it would actually work better. Think whispering in the gym, less cross-talk.)

So well done on getting stuff wired, and do enjoy that BIG beer!

1 Like

Spot on Bob. I turned my router down to 80% and it still reaches all through my apartment, but hopefully is less intrusive on neighbors. Allowing it to swap channels dynamically is a useful feature in crowded situations imo (mines a relatively old Asus RT-AC68u).

Part of the fun of a crowded environment however is looking at everyone elses SSIDs. My favourites are “ThisLanIsMyLan” and “Whywontmywifiwork”.

1 Like

Abraham Linksys
The LAN Before Time
It Burns When IP
Bill Wi, the Science Fi
Pretty Fly for a Wi-Fi
I’m cheating on my WiFi
Silence of the LAN
Router? I hardly knew her!
All Your Bandwidth Are Belong to Us
99 problems, but WiFi ain’t one

AJ

3 Likes

Why-Fi is my personal favourite :grinning:

1 Like

Some of the best I’ve seen:
503 I can Hear you Pee
My WiFi made me do it
Undercover FBI Van

And one that I couldn’t figure out for a few days, so I had to use it when I did: IDWWIJWTBOTDAD
It’s now my “work” VLAN… “I don’t wanna work, I just want to bang on the drum all day”

1 Like

@CrystalGipsy I was using Tplink power line adapter since my streamer does not have Wifi. It was ok until I did 24/192 upsampling. Then my Tidal track start, did timeout for many tracks. Now with cat 6 cable to streamer all is fine. Jitter only effects SPDIF and somewhat USB transmission which both have low level unrecoverable protocols. If your Wifi could handle 24/192, it was good enough. However I believe what you did makes your system future proof.

Wireless handled dsd128 without a single issue. When I used powelines it could handle 192k/24 but not dsd128 other than that never had much issues apart from them needing to be reset from time to time and when I used the faster av1200 they interfered with my phono stage.