Finally pulled the trigger on Nucleus to get C4. Some questions

Well, I placed my order for a Nucleus today for the sole reason that I want the Control4 integration. I probably should have asked these questions first, but I was at the local AV store today and decided to just go for it.

The Nucleus will be connected to a Denon receiver via HDMI acting as both core and endpoint.

Will the driver work with C4 EA1 and the C4 260 remote?

I assume I’ll have no problem playing FLAC 5.1 files?

I assume ill be able to control the Denon receiver volume while the Roon driver is active?

Is it easy to move from using the C4 driver to the native Roon app? For example, say I use the Control4 driver to launch Roon and start some music playing. Can I then easily transition to using the regular Roon app and I’ll have access to the same queue?

Any other feedback or experiences with the C4 driver?

Any tips I should give to the dealer since this will be their first Nucleus/C4 install?

Thanks!

Hello @Edward_Lee,

Thanks for contacting us regarding your questions and for purchasing a Nucleus!
Let me see if I can answer your questions here:

Q: The Nucleus will be connected to a Denon receiver via HDMI acting as both core and endpoint.
A: If the Denon is being connected directly to the Nucleu’s HDMI port it should work (provided you have the zone set up correctly in the Roon App), but if the Nucleus’ HDMI output is routed through a Control4 Video Matrix before reaching the Denon then this kind of setup is not possible right now. There is currently some work in progress regarding improvements to the HDMI out from Nucleus when feeding it through Video/Audio switchers.

Q: Will the driver work with C4 EA1 and the C4 260 remote?
A: I am not aware of any hardware limitations on the EA1 or the 260 so I would expect it to behave very similar to the EA3 and T3 touchpanel we have tested in-house.

Q: I assume I’ll have no problem playing FLAC 5.1 files?
A: This will work as it currently does in Roon. If you are able to output HDMI multichannel via Roon directly, there should be no difference while using the Control4 Driver.

Q: I assume ill be able to control the Denon receiver volume while the Roon driver is active?
A: What is the current control ability in your Roon Core? You will have the same kind of control on the Nucleus that you have on your current Roon Core PC. You should be aware though that Control4 has a two audio endpoint limitation per room, mentioning it just in case you plan to have more endpoints added in the future.

Q: Is it easy to move from using the C4 driver to the native Roon app?
A: Yes, any actions you make in the Control4 driver will be reflected in the regular Roon app. This is because the C4 driver talks to the Roon API and forwards any commands to the Roon Core, so they will always be in sync.

Q: Any tips I should give to the dealer since this will be their first Nucleus/C4 install?
A: I would definitely suggest that the dealer take a look over our Control4 integration guide before beginning the programming. The links to the modules can be found here.

Hope this helps!

Thanks,
Noris

1 Like

Thanks Noris! This helps a lot. Nucleus will be connected directly to the Denon… no video matrix in the mix. So, I think I’m all good! I’m excited to get this setup. :grinning:

2 Likes

So of course my dealer called to say the Nucleus had arrived the same day I was leaving on vacation. Finally back, picked it up, and installed it today. Now I’m just waiting for the dealer to install the C4 driver. Excited to see how it works.

BTW, the Nucleus is pretty sweet! Actually bigger than I expected it would be. Setup was pretty smooth… small hang up with an update installing. Reboot fixed it. Haven’t really had any time for critical listening yet though. Can’t wait for the weekend! :grinning:

1 Like

What’s your experience so far?