Finally the wait is over - first thoughts?

Let the trial begin!

2 Likes

First thought, your in for some very late nights exploring and playing musicā€¦

For me, so far so good. Installation on my iMac was a breeze, integration with Tidal simple (and amazing). Comparing sound now to both Media Center 20 and Audirvana+ 2ā€¦ If youā€™re a Tidal user the integration is wonderful and so much better than the anemic Tidal desktop app. I can easily see how one might lose vast amounts of time between listening to music and mining all the information about what youā€™re listening to thatā€™s at your fingertips. The user experience absolutely stomps any other catalog/playback software Iā€™ve used. Just doing more listening tests before really making any comment on that part. I have not set up any other computer yet but plan to do that in the next day or so to play with the client/server aspects.

Iā€™ve been looking forward to this all week. 19:29 - Roon announcement email 19:30 Signed Up 19:31 Friend turned up to go out for dinner!! Back home now and completed set-up - It found my new MS200 instantly - All working as expected -
Bowie on.

First impressions - attractive - responsive - clean - intuitive - informative - addictive !

Congratulations Roon!

So far so good here. Love the app so far, except for one unexplained crash.

Still looking through the library. Mike Olfieldā€™s Tubular Bells is listed in classical. :smile:

Beau

So far so great! Easy install (on OS X 10.10.4), and easy scan of iTunes & Tidal.

Feature request: under Albums, please add a ā€œSort by Album Nameā€ option!

1 Like

Hey Chris, Iā€™m curious what your use case is for wanted ā€œSort by Album Nameā€?

Do you actually want to browse your albums that way or is it more to help you find a specific album? If itā€™s the latter, you can click the ā€œFocusā€ button on top of the browser and use the ā€œFilterā€ box to narrow down your albums (we also have a hotkey for filter, just hit " / " and start typing :wink:).

Hi Brian. Thanks for asking. Iā€™m well-steeped in the Sooloosiverse, so am familiar with Focusā€¦ But in this case, (due to limitations of predecessor systems like iTunes) I have already edited much of my library metadata in the vein of album title = ā€œComposer: Form#_ {key} ā€˜Familiar nameā€™ Op.#_ - Conductor/Ensembleā€ (e.g., ā€œBeethoven: Sym#5 {c} ā€˜Fateā€™ Op.67 - Karajan/BerlinerPā€ versus ā€œā€¦- Dohnanyi/Clevelandā€)ā€¦so I can say ā€œIā€™d like to listen to Beet 5, but I donā€™t know if Iā€™m in the mood for Herb or Chris or whomelse so I have?ā€ Yes, I acknowledge I could switch to the Composerā€™s tab and scroll down, and down, and downā€¦but the one-row-per-work is less space efficient than the Album viewā€™s grid layout. And yes, I acknowledge I could re-rip (or somehow undo all my metadata edits) to be more in line with Roonā€™s album-centric work-parsing methodology (which I do love!)ā€¦but until Roon can replace the built-in Music app & library on my iPhone & iPad, I abhor the idea of having separate music libraries for home & portables. By any comparison, a ā€œSort by Album Nameā€ option seems far more simple to implement.

@Chrislayeruk, you were absolutely right, late nights and much time! It took me a few days after release to get a suitable PC, the one I had wasnā€™t up to the job! After a week in use, I love it! Iā€™ve found links I wasnā€™t expecting and have been on a musical journey!
NO criticism so farā€¦

@Not_Roon Good job guys

I know this is an old thread - but first impressions seemed applicable to me, having finally taken the plunge today after lurking here for a while. I was holding out for the iOS remote as thatā€™s really the way Iā€™ll use it as I have a headless server, but since I had a few days at home I thought Iā€™d just get stuck in. Iā€™ve also signed up for a Tidal trial (Sorry Qobuz - donā€™t worry, Iā€™ll be back when youā€™re supported) to get the full experience.

First impressions are really very good.

The setup was straight forward enough. Iā€™d read a bit on here first, but it was still a pleasure to have to do a minimal amount to get up and running. I was a bit confused about the default iTunes path options, as I dont have mine in the default place, and they couldnā€™t be edited - I had to disable them and create a new one (no idea if this has the same benefits).

The whole UI in general feels nice, and there arenā€™t an overwhelming number of options, and when you need to configure something you kind of seem (so far) to be presented with the option dialogues at the right time.

Iā€™ve left myself just in my iTunes folder until I know what Iā€™m doing or what the benefits are of a managed system (well, managed by Roon rather than iTunes).

Loved the zones thing - took me only a few minutes to work out what was going on (after realising I didnā€™t need the local playback speakers etc enabled). I only have one zone at the moment, but I can see this will be amazing when get something supporting Roon in kitchen/bedroom.

I seem to have a proper connection (purple?) to my Devialet over USB ticking the usual options and not a hitch so far. Whether itā€™s better/worse SQ than Devialetā€™s Air and the setup I was using before Iā€™ll save for another timeā€¦.

Not much more I can say as itā€™s a new piece of software that I donā€™t really know how it works, but I think Iā€™m going to enjoy finding out. I feel a bit out of my comfort zone not just having a classic setup of albums/genres/artists - I feel I could get lost in here, but maybe it doesnt matter.

My most used feature in the first few hours is clicking on artists I know (mainly electronic so far), and following through to the ā€˜similarā€™ and ā€˜followedā€™ (no idea what that means) to discover new stuff.

There are three things Iā€™m immediately not so keen on so far, which I will note as they are real first impressions - it may well be configurable or just take some getting used to:

-Play. Yes, really! When i hit play I really do want to play NOW. I donā€™t want to confirm or have to make another press. After such a slick UI this seems a bit overkill, akin to ā€˜do you really want to delete all your filesā€™? Maybe Iā€™m doing it wrong but I would prefer a ā€˜Playā€™ and an ā€˜add to playlistā€™ which wouldnā€™t take much of the beautiful real-estate.
-I dont particularly like the order of information presented - individual favoured tracks first for example, as I rarely listen like that. But itā€™s new, I need to explore and see how it all works first.
-Switch from vertical to horizontal scroll is a bit odd. It means you donā€™t quite know which way to go - you get used to one way and then things stop moving and you realise you have to go another way. I do like the pages rather than perpetual scroll though.

So, thatā€™s just first impressions, I love the interface so far its such a change from all the other Audio Applications Iā€™ve used its hard to understand how no-one managed to do this much sooner - but hats off to the team. Initially I did feel a perpetual subscription to play my music was a bit too much of an expense, but I can see the logic especially in a ā€˜lifetimeā€™ membership.
I hope iOS comes out before my trials ends so I can test it too, but if not, Iā€™m enjoying the remote application - that too is a very slick way of doing things and I have it on both laptops to test (the remote access needing to be enabled caught me out though, finding that wasnā€™t so obvious to me).

Yes, Iā€™m feeling guilty about Qobuz, but enjoying some new music to take my mind off it.

Thanks Roon team.

3 Likes

Thanks for that hifi_swion, Iā€™m in the same boat as a (relatively) late adopter. I first saw Roon when the hifi media folks started going crazy about it during launch. Some of those breathless write-ups did not do Roon justice and I was left scratching my head wondering why I would pay an annual sub to do what I do already with Amarra in one window and Allmusic.com in another.

Well here I am trying to decide between the annual or lifetime subs. I use a Mac Mini as a music server for my 2-channel rig and I like having access to my music in other parts of the house so Roon is working well for my home listening needs so far.

There are some things Iā€™d like to see, like you mentioned, a 1-click play option and some consistency to the scrolling directions (preferably a way to set it to only require up/down scrolling). Iā€™d also like the option to see what albums I donā€™t have from a particular artist in addition to what is in my collection and what is available on Tidal.

Regardless, Iā€™ve tried the usual player / library management suspects and Roon is the first one that just clicked for me immediately and Iā€™m definitely excited to see what Roon Labs has in store for future updates.

Great posts guys. Thanks for that! Always a pleasure to read about the good experience one has had earlier, which is now shared.
I think there is a logic behind the horizontal scroll that some people like me coming from the Sooloos world do like. Especially those people that stream a lot of music. To be honest I for one have never got to the ā€œCollectionā€ section as I always start from ā€œOvervievā€ or ā€œSearchā€ and take my journey from there.
My collection is small at less than 2k albums so TIDAL is a big winner for me now with a hope it can grow up once they have got a hi-res or even an MQA option.
Thanks!

Hi @Dmitry. Having now used Roon quite a bit more since my first posting, Iā€™m more used the the scrolling, and to be honest I donā€™t really mind horizontal. I never did really. What caught my attention was the inconsistency.

Horizontal by ā€˜pagesā€™
Smooth vertical
And also sometimes instead of horizontal scroll, an ā€˜expand rightā€™ button (in tidal albums for example)

Like everything you get used to it, but I can see why some new users especially might find it a bit odd/confusing. One hopes you could hand it to a friend and it would be intuitive just like the majority of the interface - which I guess is the case for Sooloos users (Iā€™ve never had the opportunity to try - bit out of my league). But I donā€™t think the developers should necessarily just make it work the same as the majority of apps for the sake of it, but it should ideally be consistent/obvious.

It might help if there was some ā€˜tā€™ logic to the scrolling, say right / left from album to album for an artist or genre and then up and down to see the track listing below the description, tags, etc. Right now when youā€™re looking at a specific album, I donā€™t believe there is a way to jump to the next or last album from that artist without hitting ā€˜<ā€™, backing up and then drilling down again. Regardless, you do get used to the current navigation.