First Library building problems [Resolved - Update from sierra to high sierra]

i am currently building a new Library from my Qnap TS419P+ connected via ethernet and i am getting this problem:

the number of albums seems to grow but then at some point in the building process when it reach around 4000 albums it begins to delete them reducing the number to 1800 and then the number begin growing again (loop)

what should i do? i have tried disabling and re-enabling the share but this happens again

my setup:

Roon Version 1.4 (build 306, i have installed 310 only this morning)
OSX 10.12
iMac 27 inch, late 2013 with 16Gb RAM
Music is stored on a Qnap TS-419P+
OSX

Can you post an image of the storage tab in settings?

hi @ratbert i have completely uninstalled Roon and i will begin with the newly released 1.4 build 310, probably the database got corrupted

Ok, keep us updated.

hi @Ratbert it happened again

it gets to around 5000 albums (that should be my whole library) and then deleted them from the total number of albums coming down to around 1250

…this is really frustrating :frowning:

this is an example of the deletion process i have found in the logs

03/27 21:34:53 Debug: [music/storage] processing simple delete for 67:0:The Roots - 2002 - Phrenology/12 - Pussy Galore.flac from \MUSIC_ROON\Albums

Hi @bilbobagginz ---- Thank you for the report and sharing your feedback with us. The insight is very appreciated!

Moving forward, to help aide in our evaluation of this behavior may I very kindly ask you to please provide the following:

• Please describe where your musical location was previously stored before moving to the QNAP NAS. How did you go about migrating the library to the new location? Did you follow the steps in our knowledge base here.

• You had mentioned that you had “completely uninstalled Roon” was the orignal DB also deleted or was just the application itself reinstalled?

• Please describe how the QNAP is communicating with Roon/your network.

-Eric

• my music library has always been into the Qnap NAS, I didn’t migrate anything (this is my first install)

• yes i deleted the /Library/Roon/ folder too

• my Qnap is connected to a Netgear Gigabit Switch via wired Ethernet and my Mac is connected via wired Ethernet to the same switch

Hi @bilbobagginz ----- Thank you for the follow up and clarification, the insight is appreciated and my apologies for any confusion on my part.

Continuing forward, can you please verify that the QNAP is running the SMB protocol and not AFP. If I am not mistaken you do this by enabling Microsoft Networking on your QNAP. Having some screenshot of the settings being used on the QNAP would be very appreciated!

Additionally, can you also provide the exact make/model of the switch being implemented in your setup.

-Eric

switch model: Netgear GS108E

SMB enabled

AFP disabled

update:

i have upgraded to high sierra from sierra (10.12 to 10.13) considering that lately apple is suggesting the use of SMB instead of AFP it seems the protocol has been improved in 10.13

i scanned my library with high sierra 10.13 and the process completed succesfully

thank you all for your support i will keep you posted in case of problems

remember everyone using macOS as server and using a SMB networked library to update to high sierra to avoid problems

1 Like

Thank you for the follow up @bilbobagginz and sharing what the resolve was here. Very pleased to hear that the OS update has now stabilized things.

I am going to be closing this thread out as “resolved”, but, if you happen to experience the same issue again just drop me a PM and I will be glad to help with further troubleshooting.

Happy listening!
-Eric